9 Apps to Help You Grow the Perfect Spring Garden
Indoor plants are the newest Instagram trend that we’re totally having fun with this spring — I mean, who wouldn’t want to curate a chic plant *shelfie*and get creative with DIY planters! But while we’re all about adding a little green to our living rooms, we’ve decided to take things up a notch and grow a few things outdoors this year too. Whether you’re a pro gardener or are just getting started, here are nine sweet gardening apps that’ll help you add a healthy pop of green to your spring refresh.
1. SmartyPlants: This brand new app gives users a TON of information about practically any plant you can get your hands on — all you need to do is take a picture of it. Once you’ve added your plants to the software, the app will provide you with super handy care reminders to help you grow your greenery with ease… including when each one needs to be watered, fertilized, and weeded.
DL It: Free on iOS
2. Landscaper’s Companion: This resource app is perfect for the techy gardener who doesn’t want to lug around a heavy textbook. With information on over 26,000 plants and an extensive search function, you can rest assured that your dire plant questions will be answered here.
DL It: $9.99 on iOS
3. GrowIt: If Pinterest isn’t fulfilling your gardening inspiration, check out this sweet free app. GrowIt is a great resource to see what other people nearby are growing and helps you find the specific plants that work well within your area and space (AKA the perfect plants for apartment dwellers). Heck, it even allows you to locate the closest garden shops to you for easy supply shopping.
4. Garden Compass: By scanning the barcode of your plant, this neat app will give you all the personal care instructions you need to make gardening easy. Along with a cool plant identification feature, if you choose to upgrade to a monthly subscription, you can make great use out of their Digital Care Calendar which gives you access to over 50 leading global horticulturists and the ability to digitize your entire garden.
5. Homegrown With Bonnie Plants: If you’re looking for a single gardening app to tackle all of your plant-related needs, you should definitely check out Homegrown. Not only can you easily track your plant notes and browse info on more than 250 veggies and herbs, but you can also access current weather predictions to make sure you’re giving your babies enough TLC in the blistering heat.
6. Garden Tags: If inspiration is what you’re looking for, you’ll definitely find it planted here. This fun app allows you to follow expert gardeners to see how they’re outfitting their planter boxes this year. Plus, you get free plant identification and advise from REAL gardeners simply by hashtagging your question.
7. Storm Radar: No matter how hard you care for your plant babies, a single storm could wipe out your entire gardening season. That’s why we’re downloading a powerful storm app like Storm Radar that helps you keep an eye on the sky with high-resolution radar, storm tracking, and a handy interactive map.
DL It: Free on iOS
8. Flipboard: This amazing app curates news and popular culture stories for specific tags so that you’re always in the know on your current passions or interests. Basically, it makes it easy to follow along for all the latest gardening buzz without ever having to do a single Google search.
9. Perennial Match: If you’re looking to invest in a plant that’s going to stick around long after summer ends, you’ll want to download this app ASAP. You can search for plants with filters like sun and water requirements and bloom season (heck, they’ll even tell you if the plant is deer resistant).
DL It: $4.99 on iOS
Are you planning on planting a garden this spring? Tweet us by mentioning @BritandCo.