12 Style Hacks to Steal from Your Favorite Brands
You know the drill: Wake up, get dressed, and find something remotely cute to toss on before you’ve got to head out the door in a flash. While we wish we were Jenna Lyons’ ever-stylish spectacle-wearing twin, the truth is we’re always in need of fresh inspo when it comes to dressing like a street-style MVP. Besides Pinterest and Instagram — you’d be surprised at how many style hacks you can glean from your favorite retailer lookbooks and site. Now that we’ve mastered how to cuff our jeans the J.Crew way (you have Lyons to thank for that too), we’re sharing 12 game-changing styling tips to borrow (err, rather, steal) from some of the industry’s top retailers.
1. T-shirt + Chic Ascot Scarf: Who knew a graphic tee featuring rolled-up sleeves could look this ceaselessly chic? Not us. But then again, it is Ban.do, a brand devoted to having serious FUN. We la-la-love how a French girl-inspired ascot scarf suddenly kicks things into boss-babe territory. Brit + Co Pick: Ban.do The Sidekick Tee ($34)
2. Sweatshirt + Tulle: Not just restricted to the belle of the ball, this twirl-worthy lilac tulle skirt can be toughened up (according to Topshop’s standards anyway) with off-duty trainers and a slogan sweatshirt for a femleisure look. Brit + Co Pick: Topshop Foil Spot Pleat Tulle Skirt ($100)
3. Preppy Popover + Stripes: Leave it to J.Crew, the purveyor of prep, to come up with yet another *groundbreaking* way to remix your go-to plaid popover shirt. As it turns out, nonchalantly tossed over a striped tee (cuffed sleeves required) is about as innovative as it gets. Brit + Co Pick: J.Crew Gathered Popover Shirt in Vintage Plaid ($78)
4. Plunging Bodysuit + Crop Top: So odds are you’re normally accustomed to wearing a bodysuit underneath things — well, who’s to say you have to stop there? Urban Outfitters’ in-house loungewear line, Out from Under, is giving us all a run for our money with their out-of-the-box styling. Give your slinky one-piece a sporty update by layering it over a short-sleeved crew-neck tee, and adding a denim jacket for good measure. Brit + Co Pick: Out from Under Jane Crop Bodysuit ($39)
5. Frayed Hem Jeans + Fishnets: This just in: Pixie Market’s got you covered with a foolproof outfit formula that’s guaranteed to take your all-black-errthang uniform to new heights. Try black frayed-hem jeans with fishnets and backless mules for around-the-clock domination. Brit + Co Pick: Pixie Market Black Block Heel Mule ($82)
6. Tailored Blazer + Skinny Belt: Dare to be different with Front Row Shop’s unique take on formalwear (think: summer wedding season and beyond). When in doubt, belt your pinstriped blazer over a floral frock for a getup that’s anything but black tie official. Brit + Co Pick: Front Row Shop Floral Embroidered Pinstripe Suit ($76)
7. Head-to-Toe Greenery: Donning a head-to-toe monochromatic look (let alone Greenery, the Pantone color of the year) is downright intimidating no matter how you look at it. But that’s where Amsterdam-based brand Scotch & Soda comes through. Notice how they’ve flawlessly styled a green striped turtleneck with clover green boardroom-approved trousers for a look that refuses to go unnoticed. Brit + Co Pick: Scotch & Soda Drapey Wide Leg Trousers ($125)
8. Tomboy Meets Femme: Rebecca Taylor’s more affordable, yet no less cool-girl-approved sister brand, La Vie is a gold mine for Parisian flair and sophistication. Take a page from their style book by juxtaposing a prim and proper collared blouse with trusty boyfriend jeans for an ultra-femme touch. Ooh-la-la is right. Brit + Co Pick: Rebecca Taylor La Vie Mixed Stripe Top ($275)
9. Crop Bra Top + Dress: You gotta love ASOS for putting their own unique spin on even the most basic wardrobe essentials, including this festival-ready tie-front crop top that can be styled a million and one ways. Sure, you could toss it on alongside some high-waisted denim shorts (major snooze) or you could layer it over a mock-neck dress for no shortage of traffic-stopping potential. Brit + Co Pick: House of Sunny Tie Front Crop Bra Top ($46)
10. Frayed Jacket + Graphic Tee: Ah, Zara, you never steer us wrong. We’re digging this combo consisting of a ladylike Chanel-inspired jacket, a printed tee, denim kick flares, and statement-making steppers. The look seems to read modern-day renaissance woman with killer style chops to boot. Brit + Co Pick: Zara Frayed Jacket ($149)
11. Denim on Denim on Denim: Raise your hand if you’ve ever secretly (or not-so-secretly) wished you were a Madewell girl. Now you can be: Do the denim-on-denim-on-denim thing seven days a week by teaming a soft drapey chambray shirt with a distressed denim jacket and perfectly worn-in jeans. Chic without effort has never looked so dang good. Brit + Co Pick: Madewell Distressed Collarless Jean Jacket ($128)
12. Summer Slip + White Tee: Always ahead of the sartorial curve, & Other Stories doesn’t mess around when it comes to injecting a certain je ne sais quoi quality into every getup. This babe shows you how it’s done by layering a lacy slip over a standard tee — give or take the addition of a Victorian-inspired choker and trend-right mules for an alternative edge. Brit + Co Pick: & Other Stories Lace Slip Dress ($115)
What style hacks do you swear by? Follow us on Pinterest for more upcoming spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.