30 of Our Best Style Hacks
Our favorite type of discovery here at Brit HQ? When we take something we already own or have used a dozen times, and figure out a whole new way to use it. In some cases, this results in a chocolate iPhone. In others, a revival of the ’90s catch and toss. And, in many cases, it’s all about style and the variety of ways you can wear basic garments like scarves, button down shirts, skirts, and more. Here are 30 of our best style hacks from over the last year.
Not only are these great ways to mix up your wardrobe, but they are great tools for figuring out how to pack light for a late spring, summer, or fall vacation. Let us know your favorite tips for hacking your closet, packing light, and styling up the basics in the comments below.
1. Tie a Men’s Shirt into a Strapless Sundress: This one is a great trick for summertime style. Take any oversized men’s shirt, put it on without the sleeves and tie the sleeves around to create a sweet little dress.
2. Wear a Skirt as a Cowl Scarf: Who knew that a skirt could totally double as a cowl neck scarf?
3. Buttoned Up Mini Skirt: Can you believe the red skirt in this look is actually a cardigan? You definitely want to wear leggings under this, just in case a button pops ;)
4. Turn Sleeveless Shirts into Peplum Tops: Update old tank tops with a dose of pretty peplum. You basically cut a circle out of fabric, and sew onto the waist of old shirts.
5. Turn a Scarf into a Tote: Need a tote in a pinch? Turn any scarf into a shoulder bag with a few simple knots.
6. Combine a Belt and Scarf: For a unique take on the vest, combine a canvas belt with a bohemian scarf to recreate this cool look.
7. Wear a Black Long Sleeve as a Tube Top: A black long sleeve shirt is a staple in any fashionista’s wardrobe, but did you know you could turn it into a tube top?
8. Turn a Maxi Dress into a Halter: Turn that strapless maxi dress upside down and transform it into a club-ready halter!
9. The Pocket Tie: For gals who love to rock a tie or dudes who need a place to stash their cash, the pocket tie is one of our favorite inventions.
10. Add Laces to Heels: Spice up old pumps by lacing them up.
11. Turn a Men’s Shirt into a Sleeveless Tunic: How adorable is this tunic? Best of all, we found the shirt at Goodwill for less than $5!
12. Stencil Your Leggings: If you can’t live without your trusty pair of leggings, add a little more personality to them by way of fabric paint and geometric stencils.
13. Turn Bootcut Jeans into Skinny Jeans: Still holding on to those bootcut jeans but have no idea why? Turn them into skinny jeans with a clever zipper hack.
14. Circle Scarf as a One-Shoulder Cocktail Dress: Guess what this summery cocktail dress is made out of? A circle scarf!
15. Turn a Cardigan into a Strapless Sweetheart Top: Another cardigan hack – this will show you how to make a sweet sweetheart-style top out of your favorite sweater.
16. Wear a Men’s Shirt as a Backless Tube Top: Festival season is in full swing, and we love us a summer concert in the sunshine. Rock country style with a little more sass by recreating this checkered look.
17. Turn Skirts into Peplum Skirts: If you’re more into the peplum skirt than shirt, this tutorial will show you how to update existing skirts with flirty peplum.
18. Wear a Skirt as a Strapless Tunic: Remember that skirt we turned into a cowl neck scarf? It also works as a tube top!
19. Rock a Scarf as a Necktie: For a little play on the necktie, use a gorgeous silk scarf.
20. T-Shirt Bolero: We love this summery take on a bolero jacket.
21. Tie a Scarf into a Vest: This is our go-to beach coverup this summer – all you have to do is tie one knot!
22. Wear a Circle Scarf as a Halter: This belted halter is actually a circle scarf, turned upside down, inside out, and tied at the top.
23. Turn a Hoodie into a Skirt: If you’ve got a hoodie you love but just can’t rock anymore, try turning it into a skirt. Warning: It might become your Sunday farmer’s market uniform.
24. Turn a Long Sleeve Shirt into a Skirt: Guess what this hot little black number is? A long sleeve shirt!
25. The Ultimate Scarf Belt: With a few strategic cuts, you can turn any standard belt into a customizable scarf belt.
26. Turn a Men’s Shirt into a Shoulder-less Frock: Another one created from a thrift store find, this is a hot way to rock a men’s shirt.
27. Repurpose Sweaters into Skirts + Scarves: Got a sweater that’s a little worse for the wear after this winter? Turn it into a skirt or pocket scarf, perfect for brisk spring nights.
28. The Cardigan Cowl: We love turning clothes into scarves, and scarves into clothes!
29. Use a Hair Straightener to Iron Collars: This hack is great for travel and will get wrinkles out of even the toughest collars.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)