7 Subtle Ways to Wear Glitter Makeup for Summer
As much as we love a touch of sparkle in our cosmetics, adulting makes sporting glitter makeup IRL hard to pull off. But if you’re a true shimmer-lover, don’t let that deter you! There’s an art to creating beauty looks that fall between no-makeup makeup and Lisa Frank-territory. To master just the right amount of summer shine, turn to the mistress of making grown-up glitter werk, Katie Jane Hughes. Scroll on to view the celebrity makeup artist’s seven best subtle glitter looks for summer and the best products to get the look.
1. Give your smokey eye added edge with a neutral shadow that glitters. Blend powder in a smoldering shade into your lids, and then treat your lower lash line to a touch of sparkle. Brit + Co Pick: Nars Narsissist Wanted Eyeshadow Palette ($59)
2. Use cream glitter pigments to add an iridescent touch to lids and cheeks. Remember to keep things tame by sticking to neutral hues or sheer shades that complement your natural skin tone. Brit + Co Pick: Bodyography Glitter Pigments ($23)
3. Illuminate without overwhelming your face using products made with ultra-fine texture. The micro-fine pigment holds the key to a sophisticated, buildable hue. Brit + Co Pick: Rituel de Fille Celestial Sphere Eye Soot ($38)
Graphic Glitter Liner
4. The graphic liner trend gets a glam makeover when you add a bit of shine. Look for liquid formulas that offer smooth application and dry quickly for all-day wear. Brit + Co Pick: Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner ($17)
5. Hughes’ signature look comes courtesy of an iridescent gloss applied down the middle of your lid. Use rich, bronzey hues to create a sophisticated style, and then add contrast with a matte black coat of mascara. Brit + Co Pick: Butter London Glazen Eye Gloss ($24)
All Over Dew
6. Create the trendy dew effect using a pearly highlighter in lighter shades than your complexion. Drier skin types call for cream formulas, whereas oily complexions work better with powder. Graze your cheekbones, chin, nose, and brow line for a soft strobing effect. Brit + Co Pick: Milk Makeup Holographic Face Gloss ($20), Persona Cosmetics Laguna Highlighter ($24)
7. This standout look may not be subtle, but it’s having a serious moment. If you go for the glittery colorful brow, steer clear of loose pigment that doesn’t stay put. Look for glossy formulas designed not to smudge in order to avoid sloppy spill-over. Brit + Co Pick: Skingasm Glitter Gloss ($24)
How will you get your glitter on? Tell us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.