The mermaid craze has been going strong for a minute now, and somehow we’re still totally into it — something about getting glammed up in pink, teal, and purple glitter is pretty much irresistible. But as summer splashes onto the scene, it offers new opportunities to channel your not-so-secret mermaid side. How? By throwing a mermaid-chic pool party, obviously. It’s first on our summer outdoor entertaining list, and we’re going to do it right. Here are some of our best buys and DIYs to make your undersea celebration even better.
1. Jasonwell Giant Inflatable Mermaid Tail Pool Float ($24): This just might be our favorite novelty pool float ever. Just think how many amazing IG shots you’ll get with your girls and their “tails”!
2. DIY Dip-Dyed Coffee Filter Backdrop: We’re kind of transfixed by the organic, elegant look of this DIY photo backdrop— and the fact that it’s made of coffee filters only adds to its mystique. This would be a perfect place to take photos in all of your mermaid gear. (via Style Me Pretty)
3. 16 Nautical Photo Booth Props ($50): Speaking of photos, these glittery foil photo booth props are too good. Whether you’ll be sporting the mermaid crown or the shimmery gold trident, we’re sure your whole gang’s snaps will be top-notch.
4. Dinglehopper Candelabra ($85): Add some extra panache to your dessert or drinks tables with a one-of-a-kind dinglehopper candelabra just like Ariel’s. (This is also a fun DIY project to take on for yourself!)
5. 20 Mermaid Paper Straws ($3): No mermaid-themed beverage is complete without one of these iridescent babies.
6. Mermaid Water Rum Punch: Serve your ladies something boozy to sip on while they drift in that mermaid floatie. This tropical rum punch is a surefire ticket to party success. (via Wishes and Dishes)
7. By Emily Street Seahorse Balloon ($8): Excuse us while we low-key freak out about how OTT cute this is. We’d like a whole flock (school?) of them, please.
8. Ducky Street Mermaid Scale Temporary Tattoos ($3): If you’re gonna commit, commit. This oversized sheet of rainbow scales can be divided up for multiple placements or used in one large section to create the ultimate mermaid look.
9. DIY Jellyfish Paper Lanterns: The finishing touch? A cluster of iridescent jellyfish lanterns that completes the look. Bonus: You can still put lights in them for a cool evening party effect. (via Mom.me)
Throwing your own mermaid party? Show us on Instagram by tagging us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co. may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.