The 5 Summer Shoe Styles French Girls Swear By
There’s no style we’d rather steal than the je ne sais quoi of French-girl chic. The effortless, laid-back, yet always put together look has officially been upgraded from trendy to timeless. And nothing says low-key elegance like the way French women combine high-end wardrobe staples with functional footwear. With our tax refund shopping sprees and summer getaways in mind, it’s time to take a few footwear lessons from the super chic set. Scroll down to see the five shoe styles for spring and summer that French women swear by.
Garance Doré: The fashion blogger, photographer, and author has mastered the art of the modern ballet flat. This pointy-toed pair brings an air of sophistication to her casual cool, cuffed jeans.
1. J.Crew Gemma Cap-Toe Flats ($118): Pointed cap-toe flats bring polished perfection to any outfit. And that black-and-white color palette exudes la classe.
2. Marc Jacobs Park Mary Jane Flats ($119): The snake print strap on this Mary Jane style gives the traditional ballet flat a sassy upgrade. Yes, please.
BLOCK-HEEL MARY JANES
Jeanne Damas: French culture has wholeheartedly embraced the Mary Jane shoe style like no other. The romantic look pulls any OOTD together — and they’re oh-so-femme, to boot.
3. Mod Cloth Fundamentally Feminine Block Heel ($40): These ruby-red beauties are a dead ringer for the style worn by Jeanne Damas. Bring a bit of function to your fashion-forward look with this wear-everywhere silo.
4. Marion Parke Bernadette ($625): This summer staple is so worth the splurge when you consider that they can transition seamlessly from day to night and work for all styles, ranging from boho to glam. *Adds to cart*
Anne-Laure Mais: Parisian girls get street style inspo from Mais’ fashion blog Adenorah — and it isn’t hard to see why. When she endorses a style — we listen. Commandment number one for any francophile? Buy a pair of espadrilles.
5. Castañer Suede Espadrille Sandals ($189): The scalloped edge detail on this black espadrille flat is tailor made for flirty dresses or everyday denim. Brunch in the park, anyone?
6. Elysess D’Orsay Espadrilles ($118): Black woven details on the sole of this espadrille sandal paired with a vibrant blue add just the right amount of must-have flair to this beachy buy. #Need.
BLOCK-HEEL ANKLE BOOTIES
Louise Follain: France’s newest “It”-model (and Jane Birkin doppelgänger) is our ankle bootie-muse. Parisians are all about easy fashion featuring a pair of understated boots that play all year round.
7. Rag & Bone Ashby Ankle High Booties ($368): These leather booties are the wardrobe workhorses that your closet has been waiting for. Invest in a quality pair that is bound to get better with age.
8. Schutz Zenna Open Toe Booties ($240): These babies will look impossibly stylish paired with this season’s statement denim. Throw these on to slay all day — on into la nuit!
Constance Jablonski: The model opted for Adidas Stan Smith’s, a favorite look on the Parisian streets.
9.Comme Des Garçons Play Peek-A-Boo Canvas Low-Top Sneakers ($125): Um, yes. We’re la-la-loving the collaboration between this old school classic and the cult fave label, Comme Des Garçons.
10. Zara Two-Toned Plimsoles ($30): Okay, so these aren’t exactly all white — but there is something so undeniably clickable about a sleek pair of white kicks with a bold pop of head-turning color. Très chic.
Want to see more French-inspired fashion? Check us out on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.