11 Swimsuits That Make the Best Summer Tops
Swimsuit style has come a long way, baby. Far from its functional beginnings, water wear is now as legitimate a fashion category as any other — so much so that the line between swimwear and streetwear is becoming harder and harder to discern. In the last few seasons, it seems designers are aiming to give us more for our money with suits that look like they are equally as appropriate for a night on the town as they are for a day at the beach. From asymmetrical straps to ruffle accents, offerings are pretty, practical, and financially prudent (a triple-digit price tag is a lot easier to justify when you can wear your purchase outside the water). Ahead, 11 swimsuits that will look just as good with a skirt or jeans as they do with a sarong and sandals.
1. MICHAEL Michael Kors Solids Ruffle Deep V One-Piece w/ Removable Soft Cups ($126): A deep plunging neckline with flouncy detail combines sexy and sweet.Try it with cutoff shorts or a breezy skirt for an instant outfit.
2. Mara Hoffman Aya Brushstroke-Print Halter One-Piece Swimsuit ($295): This suit is a work of art — so why would you limit it to just pool time? We’re envisioning it with cropped white trousers and high heel sandals for a very colorful night out.
3. J.Crew Bow Tie One Shoulder One Piece Swimsuit ($110): It doesn’t get more dramatic than a one-shoulder silhouette. Add a bow into the mix and you’ve got the makings of one very elegant ensemble.
5. Solid & Striped The Vera Off-the-Shoulder Striped Swimsuit ($170): When you can’t get enough of the nautical vibe, take this off-the-shoulder option from the beach to street with the addition of sailor-style culottes and espadrilles. Ahoy!
6. Jade Swim Halo One Piece ($220): Not only are suits from this fashion editor-designed label sleek and minimalist, they are made of fabric with shape retention technology and SPF 50+ sun protection. What more could a conscientious fashionista ask for?
7. Billabong Dreamer One Piece Swimsuit ($99): Embrace your boho side with an intricate print and lace-up details. Bonus: You can rock this one long after festival season has come and gone.
8. Blue Life Exotica Red Ruffle One-Piece Strapless Swimsuit ($167): A ruched strapless ruffle detail suit was basically made for, well, painting the town red. Pair this one with sleek blue jeans or a fun party skirt for a sexy festive vibe.
9. H&M Swimsuit with Embroidery ($40): We love the luxe detailing of this suit for so many reasons. One: It adds an artisan feel to a simple black shape. Two: It can be hidden layered under a blazer for work and then busted out for happy hour cocktails.
10. Tularosa Felicity One Piece ($138): Give us ALL the retro polka dot everything. Off-the-shoulder sleeves are easy to slip out of to avoid tan lines and slip back into for a flirty dinner date.
11. ASOS Design Ornate Western Sequin Embellished High Leg Swimsuit ($76): You fancy! Intricate sequin embellishment makes this suit ideal for pairing with black leather pieces or denim.
Follow us on Pinterest for style inspiration!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.