Before we help you think outside the wedding cake, it’s time for a little history. Aside from being delicious and fluffy, the tradition of wedding cake dates back to Ancient Rome (in the form of bread broken over the bride’s head), Medieval England (stacked extremely high for the newlyweds to kiss over), and in France (where they turned a pile of sweet rolls into the first Croquembouche). But the point of traditions is to break them and make your own, right?
These days couples are defining their own traditions through fun, crazy, and quirky kinds of desserts at their weddings. Anything goes! From ice cream sandwich trucks to cupcake decorating wars, the new skew of wedding sweets is sure to leave your guests full, entertained, and jealous of your dessert table awesomeness. Here are a handful of creative ideas for spicing up your dessert table.
1. Cupcake Idol: Nothing like a bit of healthy competition among friends. Have each guest grab a cupcake, provide lots of bowls of goodies and frosting for decorating, and choose the favorite… the new Cupcake Idol! (Photo Credit: David Stubbs )
2. S’mores Station: Great for an outdoor wedding with a campfire or fire pit, a s’mores station is one of the best dessert table ideas we’ve seen. So simple and so nostalgic. (Photo Credit: Gabriel Ryan)
3. Make Your Own Ice Cream Sammy!: Load up a table with bowls full of toppings, cookies, and types of ice cream. Guests can grab a cookie and get creative with toppings and fun flavor combinations. (Photo Credit: Mr. Haack)
4. Ice Cream Cart Sundae Station: A mobile one-stop shop for all things creamy and delicious? Yum. Look for local ice cream carts in your neighborhood. The key here is lots of flavors and tons of toppings. (Photo Credit: He and She Photography)
5. Bundt Cake: Yes this is still a cake, but a much more fun take on the traditional tiered white situation. We recommend trying Nothing Bundt Cake . (Photo Credit: Image Is Found)
6. Cotton Candy Cart: Another mobile sweets station, cotton candy as dessert is sure to be a hit. It’s just sweet and airy enough for everyone to try a bite. Kick it up a notch by adding LED lights to the cotton candy holders . (Photo Credit: Dolly’s Cotton Candy)
7. Poptails: Let’s be honest, once dinner is over guests are ready to get their drink on. Why not turn dessert into a little bit of tipsy fun? If popsicles aren’t your jam, be sure to check out our collection of ways to Spike Your Sweets . (Photo Credit: Hostess with the Mostess and High Cotton Style )