23 Fancy Sandwich Recipes That Are Worthy of The Dinner Table
When you think of sandwiches, your head goes to lunch — an ooey gooey grilled cheese and tomato soup combo, or perhaps the beloved panini. Truth is, a creative sandwich makes for a totally appropriate dinner option as well — when done right. And by “right," we mean stuffed to the brim with more goodies than your hungry self can handle. Brace yourself, because these 18 dinner-friendly sandwich recipes will have your tummy grumbling HARD.
If you’re a sucker for a good ol’ chicken salad, but not so much the calories, this lightened-up version will make you smile. Greek yogurt takes mayo’s place, and it’s tasty AF. (via Loui and Bearnaisen)
This toasted baguette is stuffed with so many incredible flavors, it would be a shame to not share the joy with someone. Find your most favorite person ever, and split this with them stat. (via Eat in My Kitchen)
Image via Francis Garcia and Sal Basille
We love breakfast for dinner, and there's nothing like eating an egg sandwich while binge watching your favorite Netflix show. Cheese, Italian bread, and hot sauce take this sandwich to the next level. (via Staten Italy by Francis Garcia and Sal Basille)
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1 ½ inch strips
- ½ large onion, cut into 1 ½ inch strips
- 7 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons salted butter (optional)
- Grated cheese to taste (optional)
- 1 loaf Italian bread from your favorite local bakery
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk and season with half the salt and half the black pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add sliced peppers and onions along with the remaining salt and black pepper. If you don’t want your vegetables to be blackened at the edges, turn the heat down to medium or medium-low. Cook until the veggies are your desired tenderness, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium if you haven’t already. Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet and let it melt.
- Add the beaten eggs to the skillet and cook, stirring almost continuously with a fork or spatula, until they’re fluffy and scrambled but still a little soft, roughly 2 to 4 minutes. Because the eggs are scrambled with vegetables, they’re not going to be as fluffy as they may be if you made them in a skillet by themselves - but don't worry, they'll still taste delicious. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise and open it. Cut the loaf crosswise into three 5- to 6-inch portions. Using your fingertips, scoop out some of the bread from the crust to make space for the peppers and eggs and reserve the bread for bread crumbs another day. If desired, slather the cut sides of the bread with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Pile the eggs and peppers on the bread. Serve the sandwiches immediately with hot sauce to taste.
This is a fun kid-friendly dinner that goes a step above your plain PB&J. You can make each one of these delightful tea sandwiches in under 5 minutes, and you can use cookie cutters to cut them into fun shapes for the kiddos (or for yourself!). Here are five quick and easy takes on the ultimate finger food. (via Brit + Co)
Rock your next summer get together with vegan BBQ pulled jackfruit sandwiches. They’re hearty, savory, and filling for a hungry crowd. Jackfruit is, well, a tropical fruit with a neutral taste that has a similar texture and appearance to pulled pork or chicken. Sauté it in a savory-sweet sauce like BBQ and pile high on top of buns for an easy sandwich. (Brit + Co)
If you truly believe that you don’t make friends with salad, you can at least appreciate this recipe. This ‘wich takes your favorite salad and stuffs it between some grilled bread for a filling and satisfying dinner. (via Eat Good 4 Life)
Smokey flavors aren’t reserved for meat, and this sandwich proves it. Vegans get to enjoy the essence of BBQ with this glorious pulled jackfruit phenomenon. (via The Colorful Kitchen)
Eggplant Parm is, hands down, one of the *best* vegetarian spins on a meaty classic. Even leftovers are irresistible, especially when turned into a big ol’ sandwich. (via Vegetarian Gastronomy)
This concoction just screams Italy. Layers of cold cuts and cheese are slathered with a tangy olive spread to bring the elements of an antipasto plate to your mouth in one magnificent bite. (via Honestly Yum)
Grown-up grilled cheese is a thing of beauty, and this one is no exception. Treat yourself to a simple yet nostalgic dinner that will tug at your childhood. (via Two Peas and Their Pod)
This cloud-egg croque madame is a mash-up of a classic French croque madame (basically a toasted cheese and ham sandwich, which is usually topped with a simple fried egg) and the cloud egg, which has a fluffy texture that really makes it feel like you’re eating a cloud. (via Brit + Co)
This isn’t your average “BLT,” folks. The open-faced sandwich gives us some more breakfast for dinner in the most delicious way with the addition of creamy avocado, peppery arugula, and a Sriracha mayo spread. (via A Beautiful Plate)
If you haven’t tested out that sweet potato toast trend yet, this might be a good time. The low-carb option is filling, colorful, and full of refreshing flavors. (via My Berry Forest)
Enjoy this pork banh mi the Chrissy Teigen way (A.K.A. delish!). (via Brit + Co)
A fun mix of sweet chili sauce and pesto put a unique twist on these addictive sliders. (via Happy Foods)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
This article has been updated from a previous post.
- The Most Pinned Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich Recipe - Brit + Co ›
- 18 Vegan Sandwich Recipes That Make Lunch the Best Part of Your Day - Brit + Co ›
- 14 *Garlicky* Good Dinner Recipes - Brit + Co ›
- The Best Sandwich Hacks We Found On TikTok - Brit + Co ›
- 5 Tasty Tea Sandwich Recipes - Brit + Co ›
- The Best Things Since Sliced Bread—21 Unexpected Sandwich Recipes - Brit + Co ›
- 23 Creative Sandwich Recipes to Make Your Coworkers Jealous at Lunch - Brit + Co ›
- 10 Vegan Sandwiches & Recipes To Make for Lunch - Brit + Co - Brit + Co ›