This Hack Will Let You Customize the Perfect Dinosaur Costume for Your Toddler
Maybe you and your toddler are already at a place where the mom and mini duo look is no longer “cool” in their tiny, crazy opinionated minds (fascinating how much they observe, though, isn’t it?). I like to refer to these little genius negotiators as tweens — toddler-teens. We mommas need to be prepared to offer up a totally relatable, powerful costume option that we can easily hack. (Let’s be real — a full DIY costume is not always an option with these busy lives we all lead.) This colorful dinosaur will be just that, and it can easily be customized to fit your sweet one’s personality: Change the colors, the shape of the tail, the base outfit, etc. The main DIY element in this is the tail! Now go!
Materials and Tools:
- 1 yard of teal felt
- 1 yard of purple felt
- ½ yard of yellow felt
- 1 yard of foam
- dinosaur hoodie
- green harem pants
- dino shoes (last year at H+M)
- hot glue gun and glue
1. First, sketch out the design of the tail you want for your mini onto the foam and then cut it out.
2. As you can see, each side of the tail is a different color, because why not? Lay out each color and sketch an inch or so wider than the design of the foam onto your fabric. Then cut out the fabric.
3. Next, cut out triangle shapes that will fit inside each triangle on the tail using your yellow fabric.
4. Glue the mini yellow triangles into each triangle on both sides of the tail.
5. Now, lay each color fabric on either side of the foam and then glue the perimeter to seal the fabric around the foam — leave the part of the tail you will glue to the jacket open because it makes gluing it in place much easier.
6. To attach the tail to the jacket, glue the inside of each flap of fabric on the upper portion of the tail onto the jacket using hot glue.
Little cheese ball!
Hey, also — your mini can rep this gear all year long. It’s so cute to see them run around with the hoodie and tail on a random non-Halloween day! Show-stopper for sure!
For more Halloween hacks and costume inspo, follow us on Pinterest.
DIY Production + Styling: Misty Spinney
Photography: Kurt Andre
Modeling: Elijah Bug
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.