Summer sunshine isn’t all fun and games. While the warmer weather brings beach days, nature hikes, camping weekends, and al fresco brunches, it can also bring one big drawback of all that outdoor activity: bug bites. But aside from living in a bubble all summer (which sounds very hot and uncomfortable), you’ll have to think of ways to fortify yourself and your family to stay itch-free while you’re out in the sun. Not only will it keep your summer breezy, but it will also protect you against some nasty bug-borne illnesses. You just can’t lose!
1. Kite Shield Mosquito Repellent ($15): A relative newcomer to the insect repellent market, Kite avoids toxic DEET-based formulas but still delivers reliable protection against mosquitoes. It practically makes you invisible to bugs for up to four hours.
2. Insect Shield Sport Crew Sock ($10+): These nifty socks have built-in protection for one of the often overlooked spots where you can get bitten. And they don’t just repel mosquitos and ticks: They also protect you against a wide variety of bugs that can carry the Zika virus, Lyme disease, and malaria.
3. Insect Shield Dog & Bones Bandana ($10): Your pup is part of the family, so it’s important to make sure they’re also protected while exploring the great outdoors. It would probably be difficult to hose them down with bug spray (not to mention it’s potentially toxic if they lick it off), so instead you can tie on this adorable reversible bandanna to keep them bite-free.
4. Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus ($14): This DEET-free insect repellent also has sunscreen built-in, so it’s a double duty product for the entire family.
5. Repel Natural Insect Repellent ($5): Looking for a natural solution to turn bugs away? It’s totally understandable to want to avoid putting even more chemicals on your skin, so grab this pump spray that uses geranium oil to repel bugs.
6. Amazon Lights Garden Incense Sticks ($20): When you’re having a backyard shindig, it’s a bit of a bummer to go around spraying your guests. But lighting up these sweet-smelling, all-natural citronella incense sticks is just the ticket for protecting your party.
7. Imanom Scented Travel Candle Set ($15): These natural candles have a soothing citronella scent that will relax you and keep those pesky pests away. So you can go ahead and enjoy your patio all summer long or even take the candles along on vacation.
8. Flowtron 1/2 Acre Electronic Insect Killer ($50): If you live in a non-urban or especially bug-friendly area, you might want to think about bringing in some serious reinforcements to keep the area around your home insect-free. Installing this electronic device that uses non-toxic ultraviolet light to attract bugs will eliminate the little biters.
9. Ranger Ready Repellent ($25 for three): These travel-sized insect repellents use picaridin instead of DEET and provide protection for 12 hours of bug-free bliss. There are three different scents, so switch up your spray depending on your mood.
10. Thermacell Patio Shield Mosquito Repeller ($25): If you’re one of those people who can’t stand the smell of citronella, you’re in luck. This little device emits no odor but still stops mosquitoes in their tracks by creating a shield up to 15 feet in each direction.
11. La Jolie Muse Citronella Mosquito Repellent Candles ($26, Set of 3): These soy wax candles come in cute, travel-friendly tins that can spruce up any indoor or outdoor space. The light citronella scent will keep the bugs away.
12. Sawyer Products Permethrin Clothing & Gear Insect Repellent ($18): Even if you consistently spray your skin, bugs can still get through your clothing or come through your tent. Fight back using this heavy-duty spray for clothes and gear that even protects against the type of mosquito known to transmit the Zika virus.
13. Farmaesthetics Tansynella Organica Bugscreen ($18): For those looking for an organic option instead of a traditional spray, Farmaesthetics produces an organic specialty oil that repels insects and moisturizes the skin.
14. SelpHbalance MosquitoSpell Bracelets ($14 for 12): Just like sunscreen, it can be tough to monitor your kids’ bug spray schedule. If you’re concerned they’re not protected throughout the day, simply have them wear these colorful bracelets that they can snap on and forget about for the rest of the day. It’s peace of mind in the form of casual jewelry. (Plus, the adjustable size means you can wear them too.)
15. Alba Botanica Anti-Bug Spray ($22): Alba is known for its 100 percent vegetarian products, and that includes this DEET-free bug spray. There are no synthetic fragrances, and the bottle is air-powered and biodegradable.
16. Candle Charisma Citronella Tealight Candles ($11 for 50): Keep bugs out of your home this summer and summers to come — this value pack comes with 50 citronella tea light candles you can place all around your backyard for some mosquito-free mood lighting.
Do you have any recommendations for products that protect you in the great outdoors? Share them with us on Twitter @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.