Is It Time for Us to Embrace the Ugly Sneaker Trend?
It’s no secret, the tennis shoe trend of 2018 is already a little over the top. Featuring funky colorways, exaggerated angles, and an oversized tongue, the popular new style is just a little bit… ugly? Dare we say it’s so ugly we actually kind of love it. If you need more reasons to rally behind the trend, we’ve got you. Ahead every reason why it’s time to jump on the bandwagon.
1. Weird can be really, really good. No one has ever made a brave, new fashion statement by playing it safe. The Louis Vuitton Archlight Sneaker ($1,090) is the perfect example of experimentation and whimsy. It’s a little bit retro, a little bit futuristic, and 100 percent unique.
2. They make running errands look like walking the runway. Entrepreneur and Adidas ambassador Hannah Bronfman gets it when it comes to good kicks. She rocks NYC street style in the most casually fabulous way, often creating winning outfits that straddle the line between fresh from the gym and hot off the runway.
3. They read high fashion. Bella Hadid looked dashing in head-to-toe white and gold with some trendy high tops to boot.
4. They can be sporty *and* sophisticated. Aimee Song proves once again that you can have it all when it comes to fashionable pairings — tough femininity, fierce beauty, and innovative style.
5. They’re actually made for walking. Finally, a footwear trend that doesn’t compromise your comfort to look cute.
6. They pair perfectly with joggers. That’s right, the sneaker craze melds effortlessly with yet another ubiquitous (and comfy) spring favorite — the elevated jogger pant.
7. They’re travel-friendly. Consider these over-the-top kicks when you want to bring a statement shoe and a tourist-approved stomper all in one.
8. They work for minimalists and maximalists. Ladies who love pared down color palettes and clean lines can embrace the utilitarian appeal of this look. Meanwhile, if mixing prints, patterns, and styles is your thing, let the slightly off style be the perfect complement to your out-of-control OOTD.
Will you rock some ugly sneakers? Complete your #OOTD and tag us the ‘gram @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.