The Most Underrated Places to Shop for Beauty Products
One of the harsh realities of womanhood is realizing that life isn’t just one continuous trip to Sephora. And while we wish we could shell out the cash for every lovely little item in the beauty mecca, that’s just not going to happen unless we magically secure our spot in the Kardashian dynasty. What’s good to know is that our search for the perfect budget-friendly beauty products is not all for nothing. Some of the greatest treasures are just around the corner, and in the unlikeliest of places. Scroll through some of our favorite beauty buys from some unexpected stores.
Ah. Our favorite mainstream boutique. While the clothes might be a little beyond our budgets at times, this store is all about gifts and odds and ends galore.
1. White Rainbow Tangle Tamer ($8): Say goodbye to those tangles with the ever-popular tangle-taming brushes. Skip the pricier brand names and opt for this one from Francesca’s for an equally effective alternative.
2. Library of Flowers Linden Bath Oil ($28): Treat yourself. But no need to get a Lush bath bomb this week — try bath oil instead. While we’re huge fans of the bombs, this little formula will last much longer than one use.
We come here for those fast fashion buys that we sometimes just can’t resist. If it’s on trend, you’ll find it at Forever 21 for sure. What you may not realize is that it’s also a prime spot to score an assortment of beauty goodies on your path to the checkout counter.
3. Love & Beauty Head Massager ($2): You might laugh when you see this thing, but trust us — you need try it out. Besides the obvious benefits of next-level relaxation, scalp massages have been known to increase hair growth. We’ll try this silly-looking apparatus if it means longer locks.
4. Forever 21 Matte Liquid Lipstick ($5): Don’t want to shell out the big bucks for a Kylie Lip Kit? Stop in at Forever and pick up a much cheaper matte liquid lipstick.
Urban Outfitters is killing the beauty game right now. They’ve even got a separate Instagram account dedicated to their beauty section, which houses tons of organic goodies.
5. Adorn EDP Perfume ($24): Urban’s low-key offerings include some of the best perfumes on the market. Don’t believe us? This Adorn perfume is one of their best sellers.
6. Milk Makeup Holographic Stick ($28): Get that glow, girl. Along with housing natural products, Urban Outfitters also sells a lot of the brands that are all over your Insta. This stick will get your highlight on fleek.
One of the beauties of shopping at warehouse stores like Costco is the option to buy in bulk. Lucky for you, they don’t skimp on the beauty buys either.
7. Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner Set (Members only pricing): Get a set of Bobbi Brown eyeliners at a discounted price while you stock up on free samples. No judgment here.
8. RapidBrow Eyebrow Enhancing Serum ($50, pack of two): Skip the brow pencil and try out an eyebrow growth serum. If it works, you could give up the pencil for good.
The European retailer has done a bang-up job of meeting our needs for amazing everyday wear and trend-right must-haves. It only seems natural that they would also supply us with some pretty killer makeup.
9. H&M Eyebrow Color in Electrum ($8): Declare it the gilded age and dip your brows in gold with this glittery tint. Try it for Halloween or just wear it on the reg.
10. H&M Green as Gold Nail Polish ($6): This nail polish is giving us all the mermaid vibes. If we can’t actually be a mermaid, we’ll settle for an under-the-sea mani instead.
Bed, Bath & Beyond
BBB is the perfect place to shop for apartment, dorm and home supplies. But what you may not know is that you can buy a lot of amazing makeup supplies here too.
11. CoverGirl Colorlicious Lip Lava ($5): If you happen to be out stocking up on linens for your new pad, you can pick up a stick of our CoverGirl fave too. We’re in love with this bold pink hue.
12. Chicken Poop Free Range Lip Balm ($3): Aside from mainstream brands, you can also find products that walk on the quirky side, like this Chicken Poop lip balm. It’s all-natural. We think.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)