Forget Red + Green: 11 Unexpected Color Combos to Rock Now
While the colder months are synonymous with a lot of sartorial choices — marled sweaters, fair isle everything, sparkle + shine — dark and moody need not be your only standby colors. There are plenty of other hues that feel just as seasonal, and we’re not talking red and green. Think outside the (gift) box this holiday with unexpected color combos cool enough to stand up to the chill, like olive and gold or lilac and mustard. Want the full low-down on how to add a splash of life to the cold this season? Scroll down to see 11 festive outfit color pairings that are super unique.
Mustard Yellow + Lilac
1. Faux Fur Collar Wool Blend Coat ($180) + ASOS Sequin Kimono Mini Dress ($171): Come party time, this lilac sequined stunner will look ah-mazing paired with a bright mustard yellow swing coat. Play up the contrast and keep the color blocking strong and wear bright pink block heels or emerald green ankle boots.
Cobalt Blue + Silver
2. Forever 21 Pom Pom Elf Graphic Sweater ($25) + ASOS Lapland Christmas Ballet Flats ($45): Spread seasonal cheer wherever you go by donning pom poms on your elf sweater and your glittery flats. Trust us, in this color combo — and worn with vegan leather leggings — it’s more quirky than tacky.
Pink + Orange
3. ASOS Coat With ’60’s Collar ($153) + Boden Animal Intarsia Sweater ($138): This cheery pairing will instantly inject major personality into all of your winter getups — it’s impossible to wear a scowl, after all, when you’re sporting an orange fox sweater this chummy. Keep the winter woodland vibe going with a wooly retro pink topper and duck boots.
Olive + Gold
4. Reformation Rochelle Dress ($98) + New Look Loel Noel Novelty Flat Shoes ($32): Not all shades of green are created equal. In lieu of your classic evergreen, a refreshing olive or army shade will go a long way toward muted-cool. Style this ribbed turtleneck dress with gold-specked novelty loafers, ’cause why not?
Cream + Navy
5. Reformation Brixton Coat ($198) + ASOS Co-ord Knitted Skirt ($45) + Jumper in Reindeer Fair Isle ($63): Where there’s fair isle, navy won’t be too far behind. Embrace #sweaterweather by test-driving this seasonal co-ord with a fierce (and on-trend) fuzzy cream-colored topper and some shearling boots.
Red-Metallic + Black
6. ASOS Christmas Pudding Spring Headband ($11) + Oh My Love Trumpet Sleeve Lace Dress ($89): If your Christmas party sensibilities lean White Elephant chic, then this far-out Christmas pudding headband is for you. Besides being #selfie strong, it lends a hint of red and metallic to your go-to LBD (not feeling a jokey headband? Look for red-metallic bow instead). Throw in a faux fur vest and over-the-knee boots to really get them talking.
Red + Soft Pink
7. Boohoo Millie Woven Belted Jumpsuit ($44) + Kate Spade Cupcake Hat With Pom ($72): Avoid accidentally twinning with basically everyone by ditching the green for a subtle pop of pink. Top off this cherry red jumpsuit with a playful cupcake beanie that is sure to add a little extra somethin’ somethin’ to every winter #OOTD.
Black + Gold
8. Boohoo Ava Metallic Stitch Festive A.F. Christmas Jumper ($26) + AX Paris Quilted Skater Skirt ($48): From Christmas to NYE, from your office’s happy hour to date night, this festive combo is downright celebratory. For a comfy-classy look, style this black oversized sweater with a quilted gold mini skirt and some fancy steppers. Signature red lips and a floppy beanie are obligatory.
Hot Pink + Gold
9. Wildfox Couture Holiday Party Kim’s Sweater ($110) + Charming Charlie Dangle Bow Earrings ($10): Be it your family’s annual holiday party or a snowy morning staying in, a cozy look is the only way to go. Lounge in style with this rad pink reindeer sweatshirt and some dazzling gold bow earrings that can be sported all month long.
Powder Blue + Gray
10. Cashmere Wrap Coat by Boutique ($435) + Topshop Christmas Scene Jumper ($75): This powder blue cashmere wrap coat is just the thing to toss over all of your winter almost-whites, like this holiday sweatshirt featuring a picturesque snow scene.
White + Glitter Gold
11. ASOS Christmas Jumper With Embellished Snowflake ($68) + Skinnydip Exclusive XMAS Glitter Cross Body Bag ($54): The fanciest pairing of the season will have you soiree-ready just like that. This white and gold embellished snowflake sweater can be paired with a velvet button-front skirt, a floor-length tulle skirt — you name it. And, for a hands-free night of dancin’, DO tote this glittery bag around for all of your shenanigans.
Love our color pairing choices? Follow us on Pinterest for more ideas and never be color-shy again!