When it comes to styling curly hair, the struggle is real. Even if you’ve memorized hair curling tips and avoided all the curly-hair dont’s, we bet your beautifully coiled mane sometimes refuses to be tamed. For those days when hair care feels like a labor of love (with an emphasis on the labor), try one of these 21 updos to pair with your naturally curly locks.
1. Organic Updo: Here’s messy-pretty perfection in a knotted look that’s a very on-trend approach for formal styles.
2. Textured French Twist: A normally sleek look gets an edgy upgrade from your strands’ natural texture. This tidy rendition has major daytime potential too.
3. Low Bun With Twists: Curls look gorg in a low-key, centered bun. Pull out some pieces to frame your face, then twist strands back for a pretty, romantic look.
4. Messy Bun With Braid: Finish that hasty bun with a wavy braid wrapped around it.
5. French Crown: This inverted bun keeps naturally curly strands tucked away securely. Plus it’s got those vintage vibes we love.
6. Low Braided Side Bun: It’s no wonder that this Insta-account has a bevvy of hair-loving followers. Her twisted, braided bun is polished perfection.
7. Taylor Swift-Inspired Low Side Bun: Tay-Tay’s fangirls will appreciate this side bun. The loose, undone style allows wavy tendrils to fall in face-framing waves.
8. Loose Low Bun With Deep Side Part: Cool-girls need to try this deep side-parted style with a low, loosely undone bun. There’s major hotness happening here.
9. Braided Chignon: Curly-haired babes can still rock neat styles, like a twisted, braided chignon that stays securely in place. This hairstyle is a go-to for look for professionals and glamazons alike.
10. Undone Low Bun: In this loosely pulled-back style, a next-level hair accessory makes it extra girly. (via Belle & Chic)
11. Low Space Buns: Center-parted space buns are officially back. Play with the ’90s hair trend by recreating this version.
12. Basic Topknot: This uber-simple look blends right in with all the street-style stars and fashion babes on Instagram. Score!
13. Topknot and Curly Bangs: Curly bangs alone are worth the effort. Their unconventional beauty paired with a simple topknot is everything.
14. Corn Rows and High Bun: Corn rows keep loose strands tucked away in front. Meanwhile, a high, twisted bun tops off a red-carpet-ready arrangement.
15. Half-Bun: The half bun — AKA the hun — is the perfect compromise when you just can’t decide. Add some hair ornaments into the mix for some selfie-ready sparkle.
16. Formal Curly Updo: The mega-volume of your curls will complement this angular work of hair-art. It was made for natural curls and will slay as a romantic wedding day ‘do. (via Once Wed)
17. Front Pony: Have fun with your locks with a simple pony up top. Position it toward the front for an edgy faux-hawk look.
18. Pineapple Bun: An undone pineapple bun at the front of your head brings the same It-girl appeal of the top pony. We’re loving how it looks at this angle.
19. Undone Banana Bun: We obvi couldn’t leave out our favorite hair trend of the moment — the undone banana bun. Here’s proof that you can pull it off even if you’ve got curly locks.
20. Braid and Perm Rod: This style gives the same volume as the pineapple bun or top pony, but is a touch more manageable with a deep side-part and braids.
21. Curly Faux-Hawk: The faux mohawk is a super-fun way to show off your curls. Just tie up your strands down the center part line for a look that says you’re the life of the party.
Looking for some more hair-spiration? Follow us on Pinterest!