21 Pieces to Give Your 9-to-5 Wardrobe the 2017 Upgrade It Deserves
Finding work-life balance isn’t always easy — with the world at your fingertips 24/7, it can be hard to disconnect. But when it comes to matters of nine-to-five dressing, the opposite is true. Wanting to evade HR’s watchful eye, you’ve more or less parted ways with your personality, allowing blasé workwear basics to take the place of the punchy prints and runway-inspired silhouettes you rock on the regular. You may have already made your style resolutions for 2017, but if upgrading your work duds to reflect your fine-tuned fashion sense didn’t make its way onto your list, we recommend you reconsider. Rocking every fashion trend that graces the catwalk might be out of the question (because dress codes), but incorporating a few RN essentials is totally fair game. Ready to give your wardrobe a boost? Keep on scrollin’.
1. & Other Stories Faux Leather Dress ($95): New year, new ‘tude. Step into the office like a boss by busting out this whoa-worthy leather dress come Monday morning. While the mini hemline has the potential to draw the attention of HR, teaming it with an elegant blouse and over-the-knee boots effortlessly tones down the dress’s scandalous vibe.
2. Zara Oversized Floral Shirt ($50): No more blasé button downs for you! It is, indeed, possible to branch out while still sticking to your nine-to-five’s strict dress code, and this botanical number is proof. The bright embroidery adds major pep to any working-girl look, and will look downright DDG styled alongside black culottes, ankle boots and sophisticated drop earrings.
3. Pixie Market Pinstripe Button Wrap Pants ($114): Belle of the boardroom — that’s the rep these pinstriped pretties will get when you add ’em to your on-the-job lineup. Trust us when we say that the water cooler will be abuzz when you pair them up with architectural mules, a streamlined turtleneck and a bright red pout.
4. Madewell Sliding Pendant Necklace ($52): One necklace, endless styling options. Adjustable geometric components allow you to switch up your look from day-to-night, making this modern piece an essential for ladies in charge everywhere. Layer it over a sweater dress and knee-high boots (the ultimate lazy-girl winter uniform) for a fuss-free look that comes together in a snap.
5. Lien.Do by Seychelles Pachuca Pumps ($148): Who doesn’t love a good excuse to scoop up a new set of kicks? The start of a new year is as a good a time as any to invest in these ladylike steppers. The warm terra-cotta color is just the thing to combat gray winter days, while the tassel-tastic laces are perfect for lending a flirtatious note to everyday pieces.
6. Staud Deshi Skirt ($175): Is it possible to get a bonus for looking this fly? Maybe not, but the style credit you’ll get from strutting into the office in this pleated dream makes the splurge totally worth it. Whether you rock it with an oversized sweater and suede pumps or dress it down with a band tee and statement sneakers off-duty, the result will be straight-up stunning.
8. Banana Republic Leopard Maxi Dress ($148): Taking a walk on the wild side just got a whole lot easier thanks to this leopard-print dress that is equal parts sophisticated and cutting edge. The bow-neck detail and classic silhouette bring a serious dose of polish to the table, balancing out the bold vibe of the exotic print. Toss it on with lace-up flats and a statement ring for a getup that’ll stand out in a sea of blasé suits and score you some points with HR.
9. Zara Midi Coat ($50): Cardis are comfy — sure. But if you’re looking for a toasty topper that feels tailor-made for the office, your trusty sweater isn’t it. This structured number on the other hand? It was practically made for working your way to the top. The clean lines and neutral hue ensure that it pairs flawlessly with everything in your working-girl wardrobe — as well as your off-duty duds. When you’re not doing the nine-to-five thing, pop it on with cropped flair jeans, pointed-toe ankle boots and a pom-trimmed top-handle bag.
10. Sian Harrison Poppie Athlie Trouser ($200): Stop everything — THESE are the red-hot trousers that are about to change the way you do workday dressing. The fiery hue channels your go-get-’em attitude to a T, while the high-waisted silhouette feels right in line with your obsession over everything ’70s. For an upcoming client lunch or a big board meeting, pair ’em with a printed floral blouse and glove shoes to impress.
11. Elizabeth & James Andie Mini Leather Satchel Bag ($375): It’s all in the details. If your trusty work tote is looking worse for the wear, it’s definitely time for an upgrade, babe. While you’ll have to drop a pretty penny to score this stunner, the timeless appeal and luxe materials mean it’ll be sticking around for years to come. (Talk about bang for your buck!)
12. & Other Stories Metallic Jacquard Culottes ($95): All that glitters… get noticed for all the right reasons by pairing up that killer down-to-business ‘tude with a shimmery set of culottes with major Instababe potential. They’re bound to become a star in your desk-to-drinks rotation, transitioning like it ain’t no thang after hours with a silk cami and chandelier earrings.
13. ASOS Floral Vintage Jacquard Blazer ($91): Who says suiting has to be snoozy? With this fabulous floral blazer on hand, blasé workweek ensembles aren’t even possible. Let the botanical print do all the talking by layering it over a simple black midi dress or a streamlined jumpsuit and mules.
14. Keepsake Let Go Knit Top ($140): Toeing the line between modern muse and classic femme, this elegant knit top is straight-up goals as far as your workweek wardrobe goes. Prepare to take on the role as on-site style goddess thanks to the subtle, twisted detail that makes this otherwise understated sweater look like a million bucks. Proceed to pair with jacquard trousers and fresh-faced makeup FTW.
15. Banana Republic Long Sleeve Trench Dress ($128): The military-chic trend is slated to dominate in 2017, so make it a top sartorial priority to scoop up this sharp trench dress stat. Styled with lace-up boots and a sleek statement cuff, it’ll take on a don’t-mess tone that’s perfect for long days on the job.
16. Zara Velvet High Heel Shoes With Bead Detail ($90): Hello, sassy steppers of our dreams. We’re not sure what we love more, the glam-goddess embellishments or the sleek mule silhouette. Either way, these babies are the full package.
17. Aris Keyhole Black Tunic ($130): WHOA. Between the smart keyhole cutout and belted waist, this sleek shift has its sights set on the corner office. Solidify your status as an HBIC on a mission with zip-detail stilettos and a sheer embroidered blouse.
18. Loren Olivia Circle Pendant Drop Earrings ($22): Strict dress codes might mean vibrant color, funky prints and envelope-pushing silhouettes are out of the question, but chic baubles are always fair game. Set your style apart by jazzing up suiting separates or a classic shift dress with these cool gold hoops that will add an artsy element to your look.
19. Ann Taylor Calla Lily Shirred Blouse ($70): Before you reach for that boring old button-down, consider slipping on this shirred beauty instead. While warmer weather is a long way off, the floral print will keep your spirits high in the face of plummeting temps and biting winds (it’s basically like giving yourself a bouquet of blooms on the daily).
20. Zara Check Camisole Dress ($50): 2017 is going to be a good year. How do we know? This gem right here. A polished check print is this slinky slip’s ticket into work-ready territory. Just toss it on over a ribbed turtleneck and you’re good to go. A dramatic pout and sleek chignon come highly recommended.