Slay, Girl, Slay! 16 Vampy Statement Pieces That Are Gothic-Chic
We know, we know — yet another celeb-inspired trend from the red carpet. Cue the heavy eye-roll as you play fashion police for a hot sec. Before you completely pass on the upcoming gothic by day, vampy by night style that Hollywood starlets have been flocking to as of lately (how could we forget Taylor Swift’s Met Gala look?), a little outside-the-box thinking is in order. As it turns out, embracing your darker side a la a slew of grunge-inspired statement pieces, a lotta lace and a healthy dose of patent leather could prove to be game-changing in the depressingly cold (SO cold!) weeks and months to come. Ahead, we’ve uncovered 16 gothic-inspired looks that will have you channeling your inner Jenny Humphrey (post-Constance days, natch) this winter. Whether you go full-on goth or take baby steps along the way, everybody wins with this unexpected micro trend.
1. Topshop Crushed Velvet Slip Dress ($50): We can’t explain it, but there’s something about crushed burgundy velvet that reads wild GNO. Not to mention the whole vampy-after-dark appeal. Utilize its throw-on-and-go potential by layering it over a thin black turtleneck or tossing it on alongside a tough-girl distressed denim jacket. Fishnet tights and a cross pendant necklace will be in order for that voodoo girl look.
3. Missguided Black Shirt Cami Lace 2 in 1 Dress ($63): From the boardroom to drinks has never rung truer than with this two-in-one dress consisting of a white collared shirt and a black lace slip. Test-drive it for your nine-to-five with menswear-inspired loafers and a top knot for an HR-approved look before subbing in a leather moto jacket, patent ankle booties and a bold red lip.
4. Reformation Anjela Top ($98): How to pull off a gothic look when you haven’t got a clue? Here’s a hint: Start with lace. Part romantic, part witchy, this sheer cap-sleeve top is the wardrobe workhorse that will transition all your daytime looks for the p.m. Team it with a black bralet, a leather mini and Gaga-esque platforms for a sultry date night-ready getup.
5. Nasty Gal Kaelen Velvet Choker Burgundy ($18): Fierce would be an understatement. Take any getup from zero to 100 with this bordeaux-hued velvet choker that will have you channeling your inner vixen in no time. Let it be known: It’ll look just as slay-worthy with a lace-up bodysuit as a scalloped lace wrap dress with a deep V. *Adds to cart without hesitation for an after hours-approved look.*
7. Topshop Petite Lattice Stud Jumper ($95): Ah, of course. The lattice details on the side *totally* make sense for babes who play by their own sartorial rules. We practically expect a studded ear cuff and an of-the-moment shag to make an appearance. Dial it down with old-school Chuck Taylors or slip some retro Mary Janes into the mix for a spontaneous night on the town.
8. Zara Faux Fur Vamp Sandals ($60): Usher in a DGAF ‘tude with these man-repelling faux fur steppers that deserve to be placed in a category of their own purely based upon their traffic-stopping potential. Day or night, work or play, they’ll serve as the exclamation point to many a winter #OOTDs. Think: leather pants, an oversized knit mock-neck sweater and a longline coat for your morning commute or a sweeping maxi dress come winter formal.
10. Silence + Noise Mesh T-Shirt Mini Slip Dress ($64): Take a no-frills approach to winter dressing with this mesh t-shirt dress that’s equal parts grunge and gothic. The layered slip makes it perfect for an oversized fringe poncho or on its own with some Doc Martens on standby.
11. Topshop Gothic Ruffle Stud Dress ($85): It’s all in the details when it comes to this edgy lace LBD featuring a partial mock-neck style, frills and studs. Achieve a Met Gala-inspired look by tossing your hair into a sleek ponytail and opting for black mid-heel ankle boots (what else?!). For makeup, a signature smokey eye and deep red pout aren’t up for debate.
12. BaubleBar Morgause Bib ($68): Don’t stop at fabulous — dripping in diamonds like RiRi is more like it. This OTT crystal and chain bib necklace deserves to be displayed front and center with a Black Sabbath t-shirt, an alternative tulle skirt and a faux fur topper. Wear the choker and bib together or separately for double the style possibilities.
13. Sol Sana Clarice Mule ($180): Look at you being so tough and edgy with your new grommet mules that deserve to be teamed alongside distressed black jeans and an edgy velvet necktie top. Insert #girlboss emoji here as you show ‘em how it’s done. We’ll let you lead the way.
14. Love, Courtney by Nasty Gal Night Moves Slip Dress ($88): Don’t back down now — you’re either in or you’re out when it comes to this envelope-pushing satin slip with Courtney Love’s seal of approval. And, no, it need not be reserved to the bedroom. The choker detailing and Chantilly lace trim will double down for date night with bae or a bachelorette party in Vegas. Play up the heavy eye makeup and opt for sky-high ankle-strap steppers for the ultimate gothic-glam getup.
15. Free People Mod Fishnet Tight ($34): If you’re really serious about ditching your goody-two-shoes image, then investing in a pair of fishnet tights should be your first order of action. Toss ‘em on with anything from ripped black cutoffs to a Victorian lace dress for a contemporary goth vibe.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)