Slay, Girl, Slay! 16 Vampy Statement Pieces That Are Gothic-Chic
We know, we know — yet another celeb-inspired trend from the red carpet. Cue the heavy eye-roll as you play fashion police for a hot sec. Before you completely pass on the upcoming gothic by day, vampy by night style that Hollywood starlets have been flocking to as of lately (how could we forget Taylor Swift’s Met Gala look?), a little outside-the-box thinking is in order. As it turns out, embracing your darker side a la a slew of grunge-inspired statement pieces, a lotta lace and a healthy dose of patent leather could prove to be game-changing in the depressingly cold (SO cold!) weeks and months to come. Ahead, we’ve uncovered 16 gothic-inspired looks that will have you channeling your inner Jenny Humphrey (post-Constance days, natch) this winter. Whether you go full-on goth or take baby steps along the way, everybody wins with this unexpected micro trend.
1. Topshop Crushed Velvet Slip Dress ($50): We can’t explain it, but there’s something about crushed burgundy velvet that reads wild GNO. Not to mention the whole vampy-after-dark appeal. Utilize its throw-on-and-go potential by layering it over a thin black turtleneck or tossing it on alongside a tough-girl distressed denim jacket. Fishnet tights and a cross pendant necklace will be in order for that voodoo girl look.
2. Free People Bouquet Babe Velvet Mini ($128): Found it. Take on the thrill of the weekend with this floral velvet mini dress that’s ready to mingle. Complement the swingy silhouette with a leather jacket, intricate lace tights and heavy-duty stompers for no shortage of style cred this season.
3. Missguided Black Shirt Cami Lace 2 in 1 Dress ($63): From the boardroom to drinks has never rung truer than with this two-in-one dress consisting of a white collared shirt and a black lace slip. Test-drive it for your nine-to-five with menswear-inspired loafers and a top knot for an HR-approved look before subbing in a leather moto jacket, patent ankle booties and a bold red lip.
4. Reformation Anjela Top ($98): How to pull off a gothic look when you haven’t got a clue? Here’s a hint: Start with lace. Part romantic, part witchy, this sheer cap-sleeve top is the wardrobe workhorse that will transition all your daytime looks for the p.m. Team it with a black bralet, a leather mini and Gaga-esque platforms for a sultry date night-ready getup.
5. Nasty Gal Kaelen Velvet Choker Burgundy ($18): Fierce would be an understatement. Take any getup from zero to 100 with this bordeaux-hued velvet choker that will have you channeling your inner vixen in no time. Let it be known: It’ll look just as slay-worthy with a lace-up bodysuit as a scalloped lace wrap dress with a deep V. *Adds to cart without hesitation for an after hours-approved look.*
6. Topshop Jess Hi Vamp Loafers ($100): File these bad boys under what to wear when blending in with the crowd is considered so passé. Ready to hit the town or channel your inner HBIC at the office has never looked so good. The vampy heel, gold finish and stud details will have you reaching for a leather biker jacket or a neck-plunging lace bodysuit like that.
7. Topshop Petite Lattice Stud Jumper ($95): Ah, of course. The lattice details on the side *totally* make sense for babes who play by their own sartorial rules. We practically expect a studded ear cuff and an of-the-moment shag to make an appearance. Dial it down with old-school Chuck Taylors or slip some retro Mary Janes into the mix for a spontaneous night on the town.
8. Zara Faux Fur Vamp Sandals ($60): Usher in a DGAF ‘tude with these man-repelling faux fur steppers that deserve to be placed in a category of their own purely based upon their traffic-stopping potential. Day or night, work or play, they’ll serve as the exclamation point to many a winter #OOTDs. Think: leather pants, an oversized knit mock-neck sweater and a longline coat for your morning commute or a sweeping maxi dress come winter formal.
9. Topshop Bumble Feature Ankle Boots ($70): What better way to kick a gothic high-neck lace dress into overdrive than with a pair of these floral embroidered boots that bring the Drama (with a capital D)? The contrasting metal heel delivers on the rocker-inspired front; that’s for sure. The eastern influence will make you want to reach for a lace kimono or an equally entrance-making velvet gown.
10. Silence + Noise Mesh T-Shirt Mini Slip Dress ($64): Take a no-frills approach to winter dressing with this mesh t-shirt dress that’s equal parts grunge and gothic. The layered slip makes it perfect for an oversized fringe poncho or on its own with some Doc Martens on standby.
11. Topshop Gothic Ruffle Stud Dress ($85): It’s all in the details when it comes to this edgy lace LBD featuring a partial mock-neck style, frills and studs. Achieve a Met Gala-inspired look by tossing your hair into a sleek ponytail and opting for black mid-heel ankle boots (what else?!). For makeup, a signature smokey eye and deep red pout aren’t up for debate.
12. BaubleBar Morgause Bib ($68): Don’t stop at fabulous — dripping in diamonds like RiRi is more like it. This OTT crystal and chain bib necklace deserves to be displayed front and center with a Black Sabbath t-shirt, an alternative tulle skirt and a faux fur topper. Wear the choker and bib together or separately for double the style possibilities.
13. Sol Sana Clarice Mule ($180): Look at you being so tough and edgy with your new grommet mules that deserve to be teamed alongside distressed black jeans and an edgy velvet necktie top. Insert #girlboss emoji here as you show ‘em how it’s done. We’ll let you lead the way.
14. Love, Courtney by Nasty Gal Night Moves Slip Dress ($88): Don’t back down now — you’re either in or you’re out when it comes to this envelope-pushing satin slip with Courtney Love’s seal of approval. And, no, it need not be reserved to the bedroom. The choker detailing and Chantilly lace trim will double down for date night with bae or a bachelorette party in Vegas. Play up the heavy eye makeup and opt for sky-high ankle-strap steppers for the ultimate gothic-glam getup.
15. Free People Mod Fishnet Tight ($34): If you’re really serious about ditching your goody-two-shoes image, then investing in a pair of fishnet tights should be your first order of action. Toss ‘em on with anything from ripped black cutoffs to a Victorian lace dress for a contemporary goth vibe.
16. For Love and Lemons J’Adore Maxi Dress ($396): J’adore is right. If this sophisticated glistening maxi dress doesn’t have you swooning left and right in envy, then we don’t know what will. Between the va-va-voom neckline, the thigh-grazing slit and the risqué factor (hello, head-to-toe sheer everything), this triple threat in disguise won’t let you down. We especially love how it looks styled with a velvet necktie scarf for instant rocker girl flair.
Will you be test-driving a gothic-inspired look this winter? Follow us on Pinterest for more upcoming trends!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.