When we think of quintessential country style, we think of bells, whistles, fringe, cowboy boots and Daisy Dukes — all set off by a gorgeous, all-American sunbaked glow no matter the season. Which is why we were pretty taken aback to see grunge’s go-to vampy lips all but taking over last night’s CMAs red carpet. With everyone from singer Kacey Musgraves to musical duo Maddie Murlow and Tae Dye of Maddie & Tae rocking edgy Courtney Love style makeup (or Taylor Swift’s, pre-Tom Hiddleston), it could have easily been a punk rock affair. See who really went for it below!
1. Haley Orrantia: Haley veered ever-so-slightly into vamp territory with a darker-than-usual brick red lippy.
2. Maddie Murlow: Maddie Murlow, by contrast, ventured into wine territory to complement her dark emerald gown.
3. Kelsea Ballerini: Like Maddie, Kelsea kept things in the plum family, going just a tad darker for slightly more edge.
4. Carli Manchaca: Carli Manchaca (pictured with boyfriend and bandmate Michael Ray) was about as vamp as it gets with her blood red lips and pale skin.
5. Kacey Musgraves: Kacey made an unexpected move by pairing her beautifully delicate lavender tulle frock with a deep purple smacker.
6. Tae Dye: Tae was by far the boldest of them all, rocking nearly black lips for the occasion, though she kept it from being too goth with a pretty and colorful floral frock.
Which lady’s bold makeup move was your favorite? Tell us over @BritandCo.
(Photos via Michael Loccisano/Getty)