Vampy Lips Were the Unexpected Beauty Trend Taking Over the CMA Awards Red Carpet
When we think of quintessential country style, we think of bells, whistles, fringe, cowboy boots and Daisy Dukes — all set off by a gorgeous, all-American sunbaked glow no matter the season. Which is why we were pretty taken aback to see grunge’s go-to vampy lips all but taking over last night’s CMAs red carpet. With everyone from singer Kacey Musgraves to musical duo Maddie Murlow and Tae Dye of Maddie & Tae rocking edgy Courtney Love style makeup (or Taylor Swift’s, pre-Tom Hiddleston), it could have easily been a punk rock affair. See who really went for it below!
1. Haley Orrantia: Haley veered ever-so-slightly into vamp territory with a darker-than-usual brick red lippy.
2. Maddie Murlow: Maddie Murlow, by contrast, ventured into wine territory to complement her dark emerald gown.
3. Kelsea Ballerini: Like Maddie, Kelsea kept things in the plum family, going just a tad darker for slightly more edge.
4. Carli Manchaca: Carli Manchaca (pictured with boyfriend and bandmate Michael Ray) was about as vamp as it gets with her blood red lips and pale skin.
5. Kacey Musgraves: Kacey made an unexpected move by pairing her beautifully delicate lavender tulle frock with a deep purple smacker.
Tae was by far the boldest of them all, rocking nearly black lips for the occasion, though she kept it from being too goth with a pretty and colorful floral frock.