Planning a trip and want to include your pup? First of all, props to you! Second of all, this quick and easy guide to the most dog-friendly spots on the West Coast is definitely something you want to bookmark. And if you’ve recently vacationed with your pooch and have a hot spot we should know about, be sure to leave us a note in the comments below.
1. Orcas Island, Washington: This might win for our top spot, if only for these awesome dog-friengly beachside cabins at the West Beach Resort. Once you’ve settled in to your new cabin home, take your pup for a swim in North Beach and be sure to head up the Orcas Island off-leash dog park.
2. Santa Barbara, California: One of our favorite southern California destinations, Santa Barbara, boasts the veritable Versailles of dog kennels, Camp Canine. As a pet parent, you know your dog so well, you know what kind of retreat they’d love most. From a private rock-rimmed wading pool to a fully tricked-out doggy spa, there’s a chance your pup won’t want to leave! Park your dog there for a half-day, full day, or even overnight, and don’t worry about a thing.
3. Cannon Beach, Oregon: This Oregon beach is as breathtaking as it is dog-friendly. Stay at the Ocean Lodge and prepare to be welcomed with a basket stuffed with linens, treats, and chew toys for your pup! The town has plenty of outdoor eating options, making it easy for you to keep your dog by your side as you meander through the town and along the beach.
4. Coronado National Forest, Arizona: First off, book yourself at the Santa Rita Lodge in the heart of Madera Canyon. This rustic lodge is nestled in a habitat that features over 200 psecices of birds, as well as abundant flowers and rose bushes. Your pet can stay right in a cabin, casita, or deluxe cabin with you for an extra $25. Just imagine your little pup curled up on the porch, taking in bird sounds and the fresh Arizona air. And the trails of Madera Canyon are dog-friendly so you can stroll the Bog Springs Trail briskly with Fido in tow.
5. Mendocino, California: Mendocino is an all-around great vacation spot, but The Stanford Inn by the Sea takes it to the next level, especially for your pooch. In the lounge you’ll see a plate of cookies alongside a plate of doggie treats, and your dogs can roam the grounds just as they would at home. It being on the sea means your dog can perfect their doggie paddle all the live long day, run around in the sand, and avoid getting into too much trouble. You can even eat breakfast with your dog!
Thanks to Milk-Bone® for helping us launch Brit + Co. Pets and for helping us keep our dogs healthy and happy.