Why Fashion Girls Can’t Get Enough of the High-Waisted Denim Trend
There’s just something about a high-rise jean that the It girl crowd goes crazy for. It’s been several seasons since the retro silhouette made a comeback, and fashion insiders still just can’t get seem to get enough. From casual to glam looks, our feeds are full of high-waisted hotness, and we think we’ve figured out why. Take a scroll through the evidence with us below. (BTW — have you checked our Brit + Co Denim Guide so you can find the best jeans for your body?)
1. They make even a t-shirt look polished. Vanessa Hong balanced out a casual tee by tucking it into a pair of sexy straight legs and adding trendy accessories. The result: an effortless look that feels laid back and pulled together all at once.
2. They balance out dramatic tops. Olivia Culpo knows the secret style star hack to billowy blouses: Cinch that waist! By pairing a voluminous shirt with sleek high-waisted jeans, you ensure your figure doesn’t get swallowed by fabric.
View this post on Instagram
Y'all, my red ruffled tank I LOVE is now on sale! Yep, currently it's marked down to under $49, whoohoo! I seriously am obsessed with this shirt so make sure you grab it before it's gone! || Screenshot or shop it here >> http://liketk.it/2rGUJ @liketoknow.it #liketkit #LTKstyletip #LTKsalealert #LTKunder50 #poorlittleitgirl #nordstrom #madewell #petitestyle || 📷 @vivaluxphotography
A post shared by Cathy (@poorlittleitgirl) on
3. They make ruffles look grown up. Cathy Anderson cut the sweetness of her frilly top by tucking it into sexy black skinnies and showing off her shape. Plus, she elongates her petite frame by highlighting her natural waist.
4. They up the cool factor. Folake Huntoon added edge to her blazer/button-down combo with a pair of form-fitting distressed skinnies that defined her waist like whoa. The final touches? Slick pumps, a luxe belt, and giant hoops, of course.
5. They play well with crop tops. If you want to show off your midriff in a barely there top, an above-the-belly-button blue jean is the perfect partner. Exhibit A: Negin Mirsalehi setting the ‘Gram on fire in this double denim look.
View this post on Instagram
Channeling my inner cheerleader, although I'm the baseball team 🙈 Ever felt like you've bitten off more than you can chew? Well that's me right now, it ain't easy being a businesswoman wannabe 😂 but I'll get there so give me an F, give me an R, oh you know the drill 🎉🏈💃🏾 #nopityparty #tapfordetails (penalty for those asking me where my outfit is from 😝)
A post shared by Frédérique Harrel (@freddieharrel) on
6. They show off your shape. Wide-leg jeans can have a shortening effect on your frame if you’re not super tall. A high-rise pair, however, draws the eye up and in so you can flaunt your womanly figure like Frederique Harrel did. Hey now!
Want more style inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!