12 Outfits to Wear to Work When It’s Cold AF
Fact: When it's cold AF, parting ways with your pjs and donning polished, office-ready duds seems damn near impossible. Because let's be real — who wants to crawl out from under the covers and face the elements? The answer: no one. Frigid temps aren't exactly grounds for calling in sick, but they do, indeed, beg for a sartorial intervention.
Your everyday on-the-job essentials aren't going to cut it in the face of less-than-ideal commuting conditions and poorly insulated office spaces. However, striking the right balance of cozy and chic isn't always easy. So what's a woman in charge to do? We scoured Instagram to find work-appropriate ensembles that nail your style game strong all season long. Whether you live for oversized sweaters or want to rock 2017's hottest fashion trends without freezing your butt off, you'll find a fierce look to match your style.
1. Oversized Sweater + Midi Skirt: An oversized sweater can easily come off as sloppy, which is why teaming it with elegant separates is key. Nina Schwichtenberg tones down the frump factor on a chunky knit by layering it over a button down (cuffs exposed) and a gilded pleated skirt that screams working girl glamour.
2. Denim Trench As a Dress: Have a fitted denim trench on hand? Score extra style points while dominating winter dressing by rocking it as a midi dress. Switch up the belt, and layer it over a high-neck sweater dress for an unexpected look.
3. Souped-Up Suits: So much swagger. It's a bold move, yes, but we can't help but dig the #girlboss vibes Anum Bashir's suit and bright faux-fur stole duo gives off.
4. Dress Over Pants: Love it or hate it, the dress-over-pants thing isn't going anywhere, so you might as well embrace the cold weather potential it has. Slipping a slinky midi dress (or even a funky party-ready piece like the plaid number above) over a trouser and turtleneck combo will not only add an extra layer of warmth, but it'll usher your ensemble straight into street-style star territory. In the midst of a deep freeze? Toss in a structural blazer for good measure.
5. Edgy Layers: Spicing up a classic white button down and getting bundled up are one in the same with this combo. Pop a punchy tee or a printed blouse underneath, then proceed to pair with high-waisted trousers or a wow-worthy maxi skirt (we're swooning hard over this leopard print number) to establish yourself as the belle of the boardroom.
6. Wide Leg Trousers + Statement Sweater: Introducing the next best thing to wearing your Sunday-not-so-best in public. Oversized silhouettes deliver the comfort you crave (and plenty of subtle layering opportunities), while elevated fabrics and next-level details like extravagant embroidery deliver a polished finish.
7. Two on Top: If it's good enough for Tamu McPherson, it's good enough for us. The photographer, blogger and trendsetter recently stepped out in an effortless ensemble with undeniable '90s charm. In addition to nailing the throwback trend, the striking printed sweater and turtleneck promise to deliver serious warmth when temps take a dive.
8. Great Lengths: Who knew covering up could look this cool? Unique details like neon orange laces, skater shoes and a botanical shirt bring downtown edge to an otherwise modest look.
9. Anything-but-Basic Blazer + Turtleneck: Whether you have a minimalist mentality or live for bold color, a blazer, turtleneck and loafer pairing will never steer you wrong. Play it cool with an under-the-radar neutral palette or dare to go there a la Lizzy Van Der Ligt by mixing brights with exotic prints.
10. Maxi Skirt + Basic Blouse: Monday morning's board meeting? You've got it in the bag with this hopelessly elegant #OOTD that will wow even the most fashion-phobic coworkers. Invest in a statement belt to break up your look and add a bit of flavor.
11. Sweater Dress + OTK Boots: Lazy girls, unite! It is possible to pull together a cozy work outfit in two seconds flat, thanks to this fierce Instababe-approved mashup. An oversized sweater dress decked out in edgy embellishments allows you to snuggle up at the office without drawing the inquisitive eye of HR (because it's classy, yo), while OTK boots offer a cool-girl alternative to tights.
12. Statement Coat + Trousers: You don't do the whole tights thing, which means you live in pants all winter long. Instead of surrendering to just-your-average options, make a point of test-driving RN fabrics and styles — like these striking patent pants. And don't stop there: A killer coat is something that shouldn't be overlooked, especially considering how often you'll rock an outer layer this season. Longline styles are all the rage in the European fashion capitals, so take a tip from London-based Lucy Williams and scoop one up stat.
Follow us on Pinterest for more cold weather style inspo!