Long gone are summer’s balmy temps, and whether you live in sunny Cali or the deep woods of Maine, there are bound to be a few days when Father Winter makes his presence known. It’s moments (or weeks, or months) like these when even your much-loved collection of faux fur essentials, OMG-worthy bags and fave fall fashion buys can’t keep the cold weather blues away. But girl, you’ve got places to go and people to see — you don’t have time to let a change in season get you down. The solution? The 18 snuggly picks below. Promising to keep you cozy and your sartorial game on lock, they’re key to kicking the cold-weather blues to the curb — for good.
1. Free People Isle of Sky Pullover ($228): Hunkering down seems plenty appealing with this red-hot number on standby. Whether you style it up with raw edge denim and your chicest ankle boots or throw it on over cashmere joggers and shearling-lined slippers, it’s an undisputed essential that just might have you reconsidering the whole longing-for-summer thing.
2. Zara Multicolored Extra Long Scarf ($26): Don’t even think about heading into the winter season without at least one statement scarf in tow. Our pick? This bold color-block beauty that will add a punch of panache to classic car coats and cable knit sweaters.
3. Surell Multi Color Fox Fur Ear Muffs ($115): Hat hair is every girl’s worst nightmare as far as winter dressing goes, but we think we’ve found the perfect solution. Enter the prettiest earmuffs you ever did see. Besides adding a serious pop of color to your look, they’ll keep those gorgeous locks on fleek without compromising on comfort. Icy ears? No thanks.
4. Express Velvet Boyfriend Blazer ($118): While you lived in sleeveless jackets and breezy blouses all summer and fall, winter calls for a piece with a little extra somethin’ somethin’ — and this boyfriend blazer more than delivers. The super soft velvet lends an element of drama to your boardroom-ready duds, plus it’ll make the whole desk-to-drinks thing feel totally effortless. Just add a pair of statement drop earrings and a bold berry lip for a fierce look in seconds.
5. Free People Maxed and Relaxed Dolman One Piece ($168): One and done is your motto, as far as your weekend wardrobe goes. Simply toss this nonchalant number on with a half-up top knot and pointed-toe slides, then proceed to treat yo’self with a hydrating mask and piping hot cup of matcha.
6. Gap ColdControl Lite Ombré Metallic Puffer Vest ($98): A less-than-ideal forecast isn’t going to keep you from doing your thing — and that includes rockin’ that carefully curated collection of OMG-worthy coats. Sure, they might not be ideal for combatting frigid temps, but with this chic metallic vest on hand, you’ll be well equipped to take on the cold in style. Just layer it under your fave statement coat and head out the door.
7. Reformation Romy Bodysuit ($78): Babe alert! Who says the onset of cold weather signals a departure from jaw-dropping style? We can’t think of a better time to invest in stunning pieces like this plunge bodysuit. The seamless styling keeps cold air out, plus it makes an Insta-worthy layering piece. Rock it solo with high-waisted jeans and pumps for a date with the dance floor, or style it alongside a sheer frill-neck blouse, A-line skirt and ankle boots for a sweet-yet-sassy date-night getup.
8. Zara Faux Fur Crossbody Bag ($50): Okay, so maybe it won’t keep you warm in the face of flurries, but this furry little number will most definitely keep your style game up to speed. Team it with streamlined separates, like a structured ankle-length coat and menswear-inspired kicks, for a killer look that’s perfect for after-work drinks or a low-key rendezvous.
9. H&M Pile-Lined Leather Jacket ($399): If you thought you’d missed your opportunity to score some chic pieces from H&M’s latest collab with Kenzo, we have good news: There are still plenty of show-stopping pieces from the collection to be had, and this vibrant pink number is one of them. Consider it the ultimate cold-weather alternative to your trusty leather jacket — not only does it bring the cool factor in a big way, but it’ll keep you super snug during your morning commute or after-hours festivities. iCal jam-packed with holiday fêtes? Toss this bad boy on with a sequin-studded slip, sculptural Mary Janes and a sleek box clutch for a look that will earn you best-dressed.
10. J.Crew Tissue Turtleneck T-Shirt ($35): It may be a basic, but the power of a simple turtleneck can’t be denied. Not only does it provide an extra layer of warmth, but it can also transform a structured shirt dress, bohemian blouse or plunge jumpsuit into a bona fide Insta sensation.
11. ASOS Mermaid Hair Don’t Care Beanie ($16): Take a DGAF approach to winter by enlisting saucy pieces like this embroidered knit beanie to the mix. A little snow and sleet don’t have anything on your killer sense of style, and this topper proves it. Take it to haute new heights by styling it with a faux fur coat, sweater dress and lace-up boots.
12. Loft Fleece Lined Tights ($15): Love ’em or hate ’em, tights are an essential component to every cold-weather wardrobe. These fleece-lined stockings are the creme de la creme as far as winter dressing goes, keeping legs extra toasty when temps take a dip. Can your trusty fishnets do that? Didn’t think so.
13. Babaton Harrison Parka ($375): If winter brings temperatures that dip into the negatives and more than a few rogue snowflakes (Snowmageddon, anyone?), you need a warm coat that takes winter seriously. Between the responsibly sourced goose down fill, high neck and luxe faux-fur trim, this puffy parka isn’t messing around. Team it with a pair of heavy duty L.L. Bean boots and cashmere knit cap FTW.
14. Hansel from Basel Moon + Stars ($30): If you’re not quite ready to pack away your fave strappy sandals and low-lying steppers just yet, a killer pair of ankle socks is non-negotiable. Strap these celestial stunners on with shimmery block heels and a velvet A-line dress for a fashion-forward party look that’ll earn you some serious style cred with your crew.
15. Madewell Desert Valley Fringe Cardigan Sweater ($158): Cardigans don’t have a great rep as far as style matters are concerned. Sure, they’re practical, but they won’t exactly score you any extra double taps. Decked out in fringe and decorative weaving, this artful cardi is a certified knockout. Toss it on over a chambray shirt, colorful corduroys and high-shine brogues for an effortless office-ready look that nails it every single time. Score bonus points for a Man Repeller-approved arm party and slightly tousled locks.
16. Forever21 Cable Knit Over-the-Knee Socks ($7): OTK socks aren’t exactly subtle, but who says you’re trying to fly under the radar? Show off those gorgeous gams by teaming this wear-with-everything set of socks with a corduroy skirt, boxy sweater and ’70s-inspired clogs.
17. Zara Studio Backless Ribbed Sweater With a Side Tie ($100): Business in the front, party in the back: words this strappy sweater lives by. Why let a little cold come between you and full-on style glory? Show off a scene-stealing back without having to confront the cold by tossing on this snuggly backless sweater with an embellished shift dress or slinky slip.
18. Out from Under Sheer Thermal Long Sleeve Crew Top ($29): You can’t master the layering game without the right tools on hand. Essential #1: This cozy thermal crew that’s practically made for curling up by the fire. For a leisurely coffee date or an afternoon spent running errands, toss it on with leather-look joggers, a longline cardigan and an embroidered beanie.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.