Whether you’re an on-the-move breakfast type or an afternoon snacker, we all need our go-to bites. We reached out to our friends over on Twitter and asked everyone what their favorite grab and go snack was for a midday pick-me-up. Some folks love their goldfish, others swear by trail mix, and a lot of people abide by “an apple a day,” but almost all of these snacks are ones you buy pre-made. Here are 12 recipes for creating your own healthy snacks, from a crazy delicious lentil trail mix to super yummy quinoa chocolate chip cookies.
1. Rosemary Raisin Pecan Crisps: If you’re looking for a homemade cracker that’s a little bit sweet, a little bit savory, and a lot healthy, cook up these yummy raincoast-style crisps! (Recipe and photo: Dinner with Julie)
2. Beach Bum Lentil Trail Mix: Lentils in trail mix? Genius! Such a great savory addition, especially if you want a change up from nuts and granola clusters. Would love to make a spicy masala version. (Recipe and photo: Healthful Pursuit)
3. Nature Valley Knock-Offs: We are completely addicted to Nature Valley granola bars, especially the Oats N’ Honey variety. When we saw this recipe for a DIY version, we instantly swooned. This recipe is super simple and totally ready for customization and improvisation. (Recipe and photo: Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body)
4. Savory Cheese-Herb Granola: Forget berries and honey, it’s time to get into some savory granola! This recipe uses gruyere, thyme, worcestershire, and oats to make a delicious salty snack. Will it replace our beloved cheddar goldfish? Not quite, but pretty darn close. (Recipe and photo: The Kitchn)
6. Trail Mix Bites: Bored of the bar? These bon bon-like granola bites are just what the doctor ordered. Plus, way tidier than pouring trail mix into your mouth while on your daily commute. ;) (Recipe and photo: Soup Addict)
8. Maple-Butter Spiced Popcorn: Remember how awesome Smartfood was? I mean… it still is, but it’s definitely not on the healthy side. Cook up your own batch of popcorn and doctor it up with maple butter. Yum! (Recipe and photo: The Kitchn)
9. Whole Wheat Cheese Straws: Admittedly, these aren’t the healthiest snack on the list but they are way healthier than the Cheez-Its they happen to taste just like. Plus, they’re whole wheat! :) (Recipe and photo: How Sweet It Is)
11. Peanut Butter and Oat Energy Bites: It’s 3pm, the afternoon lull is kicking in, and you need a boost. Energy bites to the rescue! These are easy to make and great to keep on hand whenever you need a little pick me up. Also a really great airplane snack as they are satisfying enough to last you way longer than one of those tiny bags of peanuts. (Recipe and photo: The Cilantropist)
12. Rosemary Roasted Cashews: This is a simple way to customize any plain nuts you’ve got. We recommend substituting olive oil for butter and experimenting with different herb and spice combos. (Recipe and photo: Ina Garten / Food Network)
What are your favorite healthy snacks to keep in your purse or work bag? Let us know in the comments below or over on Twitter.