We’ve shown you how to declutter your cords with all sorts of handy gadgets and clever tricks, but what about simply making those weathered old cords a little better looking when they’re out and about? As much as we love the pristine white minimalism of Apple’s cords and chargers, they can look a little tired after not too long. Here are 11 DIY ways to make your cords way cuter.
1. Wrapped + Braided Extension Cords: We love this chunky sculptural braided trio of extension cords. Such a great way to deal with a TV that hangs on the wall, or a desk that’s far away from an outlet. (via Design*Sponge)
2. Electrical Tape Stripes: We love turning electrical tape into candy cane style stripes! (via Bambula)
3. Washi Tape + Leather Snap: Our old friend washi tape shows up yet again – and this time, the results are useful, pretty, and colorful. (via Design Love Fest)
4. Friendship Cords: Remember these little darlings? A project from the early days of Brit + Co (in fact, we were HelloBrit back then!), this is a fun and summer-campy way to keep cords untangled and stylish. (via Brit + Co.)
5. Firesafe Rope Wrap: This rustic look is gorgeous for the kitchen or living room. (via The Vow)
6. Perler Beads: It’s definitely been a while since we played with perler beads, and this gives us all kinds of ideas for DIY tech-cessories. (via Craft and Creativity)
7. Dyed Wood Beads: Technically, this is a product and not a DIY project… but we’re dying to figure out how to DIY it. (via Les Carnets du Design)
8. Poppy Nature Accents: These adorable little clip on leaves and birds add a bit of whimsy to even the most unsightly of cords. (via Apartment Therapy)
9. Neon Nylon: Decorate a utility lamp cord with neon nylon cord to create this modern look. (via Vitamini Handmade)
10. Beaded Pendant Lamp: More beads! Seriously, we need to figure out how to do this ourselves. (via Riazzoli)
11. Create Wall Art: Last, instead of covering up your cords, why not turn them into wall art? Add string lights and you’ve got the makings for your own marquee! (via Michael Moeller)
How do you hide or improve the looks of unsightly cords? Share your tricks in the comments below.