Being the fashion insider that you are, you’re always up for a style challenge that pushes you to think outside the sartorial box. Because playing it safe is a snooze, ya know? When print-mixing feels blasé (been there, done that) and injecting a little pop of color just seems too easy, go BIG with some next-level monochromatic dressing. Not just restricted to fashion week street style, wearing color head to toe is totally game for the office, wedding season — you name it. Think: hot pink for an upcoming beach-cation and spring-y mint hues that could double for a bridal shower and yachting party. Scroll down for 10 way colorful monochromatic spring color pairings that are guaranteed to inspire your next color crush.
1. Triangl Milly Candy Pink Bikini ($89) + Skinnydip Exclusive Flamingo Cross Body Bag ($52): Did someone say Barbie-themed pool party?! We’re so down. Show off your playful side with this ultra-girly duo that proves monochromatic dressing need not always be so serious. Channel your inner beach bum by accessorizing this punchy bikini with a flamingo crossbody bag that will keep the compliments coming post-shindig. “OMG, cute bag…” says everyone.
2. Mango Striped Shirt Dress ($60) + J.Crew Canvas Pointy-Toe Espadrilles With Ankle Wrap ($118): ICYMI: Yellow is this close to becoming your new power color this spring. Ditch muted pastels for a bright and vibrant canary yellow that takes on a sporty-meets-preppy vibe. To avoid any Big Bird comparisons, steer clear of head-to-toe yellow by throwing some nautical white and yellow stripes (or a sunflower print) into the mix. Finish off your look with cheery yellow lace-up espadrilles that will take you from Sunday brunch to a garden party.
3. H&M Long Dress ($60) + Public Desire Almu Red Lace Up Heeled Shoes ($49): Take it there with this red hot combo that will straight-up slay on the dance floor. The next time you have to get all gussied up for a fancy gala, pull out all the stops with a red Grecian-inspired maxi dress and sultry lace-up steppers to match. You’ll be twinning with your favorite salsa dancer emoji in no time!
4. Le Fou by Wilfred Nanine Short ($195) + J.Crew Marlo Crossbody Bag ($98): Now here’s a look that’ll fit right in with your bohemian sensibilities. Pair these high-waisted nectarine shorts with a neutral-colored mock-neck crop top and a hands-free tangerine crossbody bag. Final step: Bring out some throwback suede mules — also in nectarine — for the ultimate festival-going outfit that could also double for an island getaway or date night.
5. Wilfred Hollande blouse ($110) + Madewell Denim Button-Front Skirt in Pure White ($85): Don’t wait until Memorial Day weekend to start test-driving a slew of summer whites. While a LWD is fine and dandy, why not take it up a notch with two of spring’s most coveted wardrobe essentials? Enter an easy-breezy off-the-shoulder blouse and a retro button-front skirt that will give you life. Finish off your Hamptons-bound ensemble with white canvas sneaks or some lazy girl-approved white Birkenstock slides.
6. Golden by TNA Arnoldo Dress ($85) + Madewell Denim Baseball Hat ($25): So much YAS. Rock a denim-on-denim look with this free-wheelin’ denim popover dress that’s perfect for the girl on the go. Pssst: It even has hidden side pockets! Whether you’re heading to a baseball game or have plans to enjoy a picnic in the park, nothing says athleisure like a denim baseball cap that’s equal parts casual and tomboy.
7. Mango Flowy Dress ($70) + COS Slip-on Leather Shoes ($125): Calling all minimalist enthusiasts! We’ve got you covered with this monochromatic pairing that’s basically a match made in heaven. Be inspired to do less this season by investing in a capsule wardrobe of mustard statement pieces you can mix and match to your delight. For an off-duty look that just works, pair this flowy off-the-shoulder dress with “ugly” glove shoes that you’ll want to wear err’day. No joke.
8. H&M Lace Dress ($35) + Old Navy Faux-Leather Double-Strap Sandals for Women ($25): Spring is synonymous not only with groundbreaking floral prints, but also swoon-inducing pastels that just so happen to be a shoo-in for spring weddings and graduations galore. Give this light and airy lace dress a twirl by styling it with complementary mint-colored double-strap leather sandals that are just as comfortable as they look. Then toss on a free-spirited flower crown, ‘cuz why not?!
9. Ganni Jones Crepe Pants ($180) + J.Crew Striped Canvas Pumps ($280): A rotation of snoozy pant suits and neutrals for the office is just about as bor-ing as it gets. With this look, you not only get to combine two of your favorite prints (floral! stripes!), but you get to embrace your love of navy. Show everyone who’s boss by ditching your old trousers for these slouchy carnation-print pants that are the epitome of laid-back chic — yet still HR-approved. Class ‘em up with some sophisticated navy and white striped bow pumps that will take you from the boardroom to after-hours like that.
10. Tibi Beach Ball Print Silk Cami ($265) + H&M Short Shorts ($30): Too much pink? No such thing. When life’s a beach, you’ll have this carefree set to keep the outfit blahs at bay. While the quirky beach ball-printed cami reads fun in the sun, the rose quartz high-waisted shorts are business professional all the way. Top off your look with a white blazer and platform wedges for a polished #OOTD, or keep things on the DL with flip flops for an afternoon of poolside lounging.
Will you be trying out the monochromatic look this spring? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.