Girl on the Go: 3 Hair Hacks in Under 10 Minutes
Whether you woke up late or you are just flat out not in the mood to over fuss with your hair, we’re arming you with three ridiculously simple hair hacks. Each of these take under 10 minutes and will give your hair a subtle style bump that can polish off even the most dire case of bedhead.
MAKE IT WAVE
We’ll kick things off with Ashley who has slightly wavy hair when she lets it air dry. To take her naturally tousled look to a more refined level, simply add a few curls! This style can be pulled off for lots of different hair types by slightly altering the type of curl you add in.
1. First spray a generous amount of a dry shampoo throughout your roots and all over your hair, we love TIGI’s Rockaholic Dirty Little Secret. This is going to give your hair a little extra texture to help the curls stay in place and to tie this look together.
2. Pick up a strand of hair on either side of your face — be sure to start and finish with the front strands directly framing your face to keep the look clean and intentional. Place a curl in the direction going away from your face and leave the end out so that it can blend in with the rest of your hair that is left untouched.
3. Add approximately 10-12 curls throughout your hair remembering to end with the strand closest to your face on the opposite side that you started, curling away from your face.
4. As you can see the curls are pretty random. It’s important not to go overboard — don’t fuss about the straight pieces of hair that are still hanging around.
5. To reinforce this “undone” look, use a wide tooth comb to twist your curls, adding some of the straight hairs into them and gently backcomb your hair together. This will blend the entire look and give a bouncy body to your hair!
Okay, so we have all heard of, tried and admired the infamous Sock Bun, but what about a Scarf Bun?! This soon-to-be staple takes under five minutes to style.
THE SCARF BUN
1. Start off by picking up fine sections of hair and backcombing all the way to the ends.
2. Do this throughout your entire hair. Don’t worry! This lion mane will only last a moment, but while you are at this stage, feel free to grab your phone and “take a selfie“!
3. Now that you’ve tapped into your inner lioness, let’s get back to business. Smooth back all of your hair into a low pony. Notice all that volume and texture! This will help your bun shape out nicely and reinforce the hold. Note: If you have super thick hair already, you may want to skip this step.
4. Place a traditional bun into your hair and secure with a bobby pin or two.
5. Grab your scarf and wrap it around the bun!
6. Tie off the scarf underneath for a polished finish.
THE UNEVEN PART
This is hands down the easiest, quickest little trick that will give a really lazy hair day a finish that looks like you spent way more time than you actually did! You may recall this trend from the late ’90s — we can’t resist a throwback.
1. Comb the top of your hair back.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)