13 Stripes for Spring That Will Slay for National Stripes Day
Alert the masses! You officially have J.Crew to thank for National Stripes Day, a holiday invented by the unconventionally preppy brand. Beyond a classic striped popover shirt, a French girl-inspired boatneck tee, and striped trousers (worn the Jenna Lyons way, obvi), we’re advocates for thinking outside the sartorial box.
Consider this your invitation to rock your best striped statement pieces this March 31 (and all season long). Ahead, we’re sharing 13 of the best stripe iterations to prep you for this joyous holiday. Can you say best. Day. Ever?
1. All Knitwear Coney Box Top Yellow Sweater ($290): A world without stripes… err, let’s NOT even go there. Pull out all the stops with this OMG-worthy striped crew-neck sweater that’s guaranteed to elicit some squeals. Go glam with a twirly-worthy tulle skirt and metallic steppers (with socks peeking out just a smidge) for a look that’s so totally ‘80s.
2. J.Crew Striped Trench Coat ($228): This just in: The purveyor of prep (cough, cough, J.Crew) strikes again. But this time with an anything-but-snoozy perennial trench. Proceed to take this playful striped topper to next-level territory with DIY paint splatters and some thoughtful print remixing.
3. Mara Hoffman Ray Linen Midi Dress ($398): Alright, we’re officially counting down the days until our very own Roman holiday. You best believe this rainbow striped one-shoulder dress will be coming along, in addition to some colorful suede mules and a top-handle straw bag.
4. & Other Stories Striped Sweater ($39): We’re all about anything-but-basic basics that put a smile on our face. This peppy green striped sweater featuring a pop of pink is guaranteed to give you a major case of spring fever.
5. Kate Spade On Purpose Canvas Tote ($128): Don’t just stop at National Stripes Day — this all-purpose striped canvas tote deserves to be sported 365 days a year. Try an afternoon at the beach, work, or en route to class.
6. Clare V. Mariner Stripe Flat Clutch ($215): Ready or not, Nantucket, here we come! This preppy black, green, and red mariner striped clutch is exactly what the doctor ordered for a summer wedding, a girls’-only weekend, or even a stroll along the boardwalk. White raw-hem jeans and a chambray shirt may or may not be in order.
7. Banana Republic Logan-Fit Multi-Stripe Pant ($98): Nine-to-five, five-to-nine — what’s the diff when your striped trousers give off this much after-hours potential. Blur the line between business and pleasure by throwing a silk cami and chandelier earrings into the mix.
8. Mango Striped Cotton Scarf ($30): What’s that? You don’t own any stripes? Allow this ceaselessly chic striped scarf (note the tassels!) to work its magic around the clock with an oversized sweater or a plain white tee.
9. Zara Off-the-Shoulder Striped Blouse ($40): Ready for cocktail hour in two-seconds flat looks a little somethin’ somethin’ like this. Meet the striped off-the-shoulder blouse you’ll reach for time and time again. For an Americana vibe, just add white sailor-inspired pants and free-wheelin’ slides.
10. Tommy Hilfiger Gigi Hadid Stripe Wedge Sandals ($173): Run, don’t walk, to snatch up these lace-up stripe wedges from the Tommy x Gigi collection. TBH, they’re already at the top of our summer wish list — they’ve got MDW yachting party written all over ‘em.
11. YSTR Margaux Bodysuit ($98): Time to dial up the drama with this sultry black and white striped bodysuit that requires zero effort. Slip this bad boy on with denim cutoffs and woven huaraches for a look that’s ready for some fun in the sun (read: riding around LA with the top down).
12. ASOS Tall Cut About Stripe T-Shirt Dress ($38): Ah yes, a combo stripe t-shirt dress that’s effortless enough to be teamed alongside a denim jacket and trainers for no shortage of girl-next-door appeal. To be worn on the quintessential spring day (think: birds chirping and freshly cut grass).
13. Free People Cashmere Crew ($198): Cue the happy dance: We’ll be cha-cha-ing into the boardroom come Fri-YAY all thanks to this ROYGBIV-inspired striped sweater. We don’t typically like to play favorites, but how can you not when your #SOTD (stripe of the day) packs this much punch?
What’s your go-to way to style stripes? Follow us on Pinterest for upcoming spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.