14 Novel Gifts to Celebrate 200 Years of Jane Austen
Hopeless romantics and literary aficionados have been swooning over Jane Austen’s writing for more than two centuries. In fact, devoted Janeites (yes, that is the technical term for Austen fans) are known for sporting literary tattoos in her honor, binging television and theatrical adaptations of her novels, and even finding new ways to explore her life and legacy through brand new Austen books and merchandise. Since July 18 marks the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen’s death, we’re celebrating the OG literary boss by loading our online carts with tons of sweet Austen-inspired swag. This haul’s for you, Jane.
1. Letterwright Jane Austen Book Stack Spines Illustration ($16): Even though Teri Lea Wright is in the midst of pursuing her English degree, she quenches her urge to create by illustrating beautiful works of art based on her favorite novels. This stunning hand-drawn illustration features a whimsical book stack of Jane Austen’s six most well-known novels and was actually inspired by the artist’s own well-loved copies.
2. Fable and Black Jane Austen Enamel Pin ($9): This bookish enamel pin will inspire you to dust off your copy of Sense and Sensibility and nestle in for a well-deserved read-a-thon. The pin is silver plated with bright pink enamel and is polished to a super shiny finish — AKA it’s the perfect way to add a bit of Austen flair to your jean jacket or backpack.
3. Little Bookish Ltd. Jane Austen Literary Tea Bags ($10): Every bibliophile knows that the best way to read is with a piping hot cup of tea in hand. These literary tea bags from Little Bookish are extra special, as they come with sweet quotes from five of Austen’s most famous novels.
4. Literary Emporium Jane Austen T-Shirt ($20): Rock the Regency on your chest with this badass unisex tee. The relaxed-fit shirt is screen-printed with an illustration of Jane Austen and is sure to make all of your literary friends swoon when they see you roll into book club.
5. Modcloth Like Author Like Daughter Socks ($10): Since wearing full Jane Austen cosplay might make it a little difficult to get your work done (curse those damn corsets!), we suggest getting your daily dose of Austen garb with these adorable blue knit crew socks instead.
6. Jane Austen: The Complete Works by Jane Austen ($160): While you can probably find a copy of any of Jane Austen’s books at your local thrift store, true Austen fangirls should definitely invest in a beautiful set of her classic works. This beautiful cloth and foil stamped collection is part of Penguin’s beautiful “Hardcover Classics” series and was designed by the award-winning Coralie Bickford-Smith.
7. Out of Print Pemberley Pennant ($12): Y’all know that you’ve always wanted to explore Mr. Darcy’s Pemberley country estate. This wool pennant is totally retro and will give some literary love to your gallery wall or chic home office.
8. Evangelina’s Closet Mr. Collins Proposal Tank Top ($20): If you’re searching for motivation to crush it on the treadmill, look no further. This hilarious tank is perfect for Pride and Prejudice fangirls who are still eye-rolling over Mr. Collins’ awful proposal.
9. Frost Beard Studio Pemberley Gardens Soy Candle ($18): Since taking a day trip to visit one of the gorgeous English country houses may seem a little out of reach, we’re down to take an imaginary walk around the Pemberley estate with this sweet-scented candle.
10. Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld ($17): Curtis Sittenfeld isn’t the first author to try to modernize one of Jane Austen’s classic tales, but his retelling of Pride and Prejudice is definitely something that all Janeites can get behind. From Jane the yoga instructor to CrossFit-obsessed Kitty and Lydia, this modern cast will inspire you to find your own IRL Mr. Darcy.
11. Story Seamstress Choose Your Own Degree of Crossness Notebook ($14): Amanda Kastner of Story Seamstress was inspired by the classic line in Emma while designing this beautiful notebook.
12. Marrying Mr. Darcy Board Game ($30): Full of heroines and suitors, this epic board game makes for a great post-book club activity. The object of the game is to get the most points in both the courtship stage and the proposal stage… and, of course, to snag a ring from the king of romance himself.
13. Litographs Pride and Prejudice T-Shirt ($34): Bring your fave read with you wherever you go with this amazing Pride and Prejudice shirt. Seriously, with Jane’s actual words printed on your sleeve, you can totally get in some much-needed reading time while you’re bored in the office or grant the gift of Austen to daily onlookers on your morning commute.
14. Out of Print Pride and Prejudice Pouch ($12): Whether you’re looking for a cute pencil case or stylish makeup bag, this everyday pouch inspired by Jane Austen’s classic novel is an awesome and practical literary statement.
How are you celebrating the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen’s death? Tweet us by mentioning @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.