5 Airbnb Rentals That Are Basically Real Life Gingerbread Houses
Gingerbread houses have been a holiday tradition since the 1800s, and rightly so — is there anything better than a house constructed entirely of cookies, frosting and candy?
1. Fuerteventura Villa in Jandia, Canarias, Spain ($177/night): This whimsical villa’s roof and windows are adorned with meringue-like frosting and candy-colored accents. The fun extends beyond the building itself; located in the Canary Islands, the house is just a hop and a skip away from white-sand beaches.
2. Okemo A-Frame in Ludlow, VT, US ($115/night): This rustic wood cabin is colorful inside and out and is tucked away in the forest. There’s a wood-burning fireplace inside, and the front porch has a ramp that allows guests to ski down to nearby trails in the winter.
3. Gingerbread House in Geyserville, CA, US ($123/night): If you’re looking for the most charming of tiny spaces, this cozy cottage is for you. Its stained glass windows have LED lights inside, and the house is located in the Isis Oasis Retreat Center, a wine country sanctuary full of tall trees and exotic animals.
4. Gingerbread Huis in Lieren, Gelderland, Netherlands ($103/night). This Gingerbread Huis also has an adjacent Gingerbread Shed, and both are nestled in private woods for the ultimate quiet escape. The upstairs bedroom (nestje) has a large window that allows you to sleep directly under the stars.
5. Garden Gingerbread House in Makawao, HI, US ($175/night). In the ’70s, Jimi Hendrix stayed in this Maui cottage while filming Rainbow Ridge. The bungalow has since been remodeled and is located on 4.5 lush acres that include gardens, a vegetable farm, tropical fruit trees and friendly wildlife. Who says a winter wonderland needs to have snow?
What are the most charming or unusual places you’ve stayed? Share them with us @BritandCo!
(Photos via Airbnb)
Lesley Chen is a California native who writes about travel, health/fitness, and other lifestyle topics. She has a serious case of RBF and exercises mainly to balance out an aggressive candy addiction.