6 Essential Bras Every French Girl Owns
Deconstructing the Parisian woman’s world-renowned style is no easy feat. Between that hint of attitude, her less-is-more beauty habits, and the laissez-faire nature of her lazy-girl strands, choosing garments that channel her innate confidence is key — but how? To find out, we asked our very own French-American muse, Adrienne Gaskell, of the Parisian lingerie line Simone Pérèle. In addition to priceless French-style pointers — like saying yes to lace and embracing sheer brassieres — we learned that the secret behind the French woman’s sly smile has to do with what she’s wearing underneath. These are the six bras every French girl owns that will put the twinkle in your eye tout le temps.
Black Lace Demi
1. Gaskell reveals, “Lace is as essential to the French girl’s lingerie wardrobe as perfume is to her beauty routine — and an all-over black lace bra is always needed. The secret to wearing an all-lace bra? Wear it for yourself, unapologetically, and with confidence. Paris style queen, Caroline de Magret, summed it up when she said, ‘Wear a black bra under your white blouse, like two notes on a sheet of music.’ Avoid a black push-up or opaque T-shirt bra under a white T-shirt, as this presents ‘too much bra’ and detracts from the edgy elegance of a delicate lace number. Otherwise, black lace under white is a go!” Brit + Co Pick: Blush Lingerie Sheer Desire Demi ($58)
2. “La Parisienne’s go-to bra of the moment is the lace triangle bralette. It exudes natural sexiness and a cool factor that doesn’t try too hard. The bralette lends itself perfectly to pops of color and touches of lace under your outfit. Wear a white lace bralette under your white tee to instantly elevate your look. It’s chic and yet totally French-cool (i.e., ‘not trying too hard’). Bralettes are also a great way to play with color. Wear shades that make you feel beautiful and laces that feel divine against your skin. You should never feel intimidated or uncomfortable in your lingerie… Au contraire, lace is intimate, feminine and reflects your unique personal style.” Brit + Co Pick: Anine Bing Stretch-Lace Soft Cup Triangle Bra ($80)
SleEk Seamless Bra
3. “Every French girl has a seamless bra for those curve-hugging outfits (think: body-con dress),” Gaskell continues. “It’s all about creating a smooth and seamless silhouette. But in true Parisian style, even her most seamless bra always has a little edge. For a fresh take on the T-shirt bra, look for stylish touches like satin or hints of lace, in feminine neutrals like blush, or colors you love. You’ll feel pretty and still achieve the effortless and seamless look your outfit calls for.” Brit + Co Pick: Thirdlove Satin Demi Bra ($76)
4. “French girls love the occasional reveal of a sexy low-cut décolleté, which she’ll often balance with a pair of high waisted jeans and undone hair. Seduction is all about flirtation… hinting at what’s to come!” reveals Gaskell. “Nab a bra with a low plunging neckline and rock it under a button-down or plunge top or wrap dress. Reveal a hint of scalloped lace under your look for a little extra ooh la la. French girls love to reveal a peek of lace.” Brit + Co Pick: Implicite Espiègle Plunge ($59)
Bold statement bra
5. Gaskell lets us in on another French style commandment, saying, “For the French, lingerie is about artfully covering the body, hiding just enough to tease the senses. What you cover, how you cover it, and with what is the key to the game of seduction. Lingerie is about adorning the body, so go ahead, take pleasure in the process. Be bold, but most of all, wear pieces that you feel amazing in, and wear it with total confidence.” Brit + Co Pick: Simone Pérèle Java Sheer Plunge ($105)
6. When she doesn’t go for a strapless style, elegant push-ups pair best with lower necklines in evening. “The secret to wearing a push-up like a French girl is simple: Don’t wear it to reveal cleavage. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it’s more about creating that va-va-voom silhouette than it is about showing skin. Look for details like lace, embroidery, and sexy strapping to wow with that hourglass shape on date night.” Brit + Co Pick: La Perla Marble Mood ($315)
(Featured photo via Simone Pérèle)
Which of these French bras will you wear? Tell us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co. may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.