These ’90s Style Essentials Are Making a Major Comeback
History repeating itself isn’t always seen as a good thing, but in the fashion world, it’s a shortcut to success. Case in point: the ’70s style revolution. Over the last few seasons, editors, bloggers, It girls and every girls have been diggin’ those groovy vibes, welcoming (cropped) flares, suede skirts and off-the-shoulder styles back with open
arms closets. But the Studio 54 era isn’t the only one tapping into the fashion world’s sense of nostalgia: The ’90s are making a comeback in a big way. Meaning all of your favorite duds from days of old — scrunchies, plaid shirts and Doc Martens — are now conveniently on-trend. Even if your pre-Y2K pieces are long gone, you can still party like it’s 1999 all season long with these 28 ’90s style essentials.
1. Zara V-Neck Dress ($40): Channel one of Kate Moss’s most iconic looks with a shimmery slip dress that epitomizes ’90s grunge glamour. Berry lipstick and don’t-care hair are obligatory.
2. BDG Ribbed Knit Cuffed Beanie ($19): Forget the fedora — banish bad hair days and biting winds the ’90s way by busting out a beanie. Bonus points for patches and pins.
3. Forever21 Tartan Plaid Shirt ($20): You can’t do grunge without a little flannel. Give Claire Danes’s My So-Called Life style staple the 2016 treatment with silky joggers, menswear flats and a lucite choker.
4. Nila Anthony Go Wild Belt Bag ($38): A neon fanny pack was the place to stash all your Lisa Frank swag and Tamagotchis back in the day. While a high-octane hip pack isn’t exactly en vogue at this point, a sleek metallic belt bag will definitely do your right-now style proud. Take this one along when you’re ready to bust a move — hands-free — out on the dance floor.
5. Topshop Swoosh Wayfarer Sunglasses ($35): Round sunnies, crop tops and cutoff jeans just work, but to do it right in 2016, you need pieces that pack plenty of panache. And these swoosh shades are it. Play it cool by pairing them with gold hoops and a leather jacket.
6. Gap 1969 Icon Destructed Denim Vest ($60): Proof that ’90s denim was prime time, jean vests and jackets are still holdin’ it down. Go old school with a band tee, black jeans and Chuck Taylors, or give it the front row treatment with jacquard crop flares, ankle boots and a turtleneck top.
7. Ettika Band of Gold Star Choker ($58): Make no mistake — the 21st-century choker is nothing like the tattoo styles you wore in middle school. Case in point: this star-studded number. Not only does it slay after hours and at the office, but you can count on it to rack up the style points too.
8. American Apparel V-Strap Tank ($58): The midriff-baring top has made a major comeback, but the trend has taken on an infinitely more sophisticated tone with a streamlined design and more grown-up pairings. Team this open-back number with mom jeans and bright lace-up flats for a laid-back hang sesh.
9. ASOS Mix Flower Bun Holder ($11): Meet your (not-so) new favorite hair accessory — the scrunchie. With Coachella and all your favorite festivals right around the corner, this floral scrunchie couldn’t be more timely. It’s the perfect partner to flirty floral frocks, suede skirts and funky fringe. And it doubles as a bracelet too.
10. Topshop Ditsy Doll Dress ($95): Two decades later (yikes!) ditsy floral dresses haven’t lost any of their appeal. The flirty style is begging to be paired with edgy accessories like studded ankle boots and a leather jacket, for a look that reads girl-next-door gone bad.
11. Madewell Coastshine Hoop Earrings ($28): Move over, statement studs and dazzling drops: THESE hoops are the baubles that will have everyone talking. Don’t be surprised if you get stopped in the subway or on the streets — they’re that good.
12. Baserange Over the Knee Socks ($31): If Clueless was your style bible, you’ll be pumped about the return of OTK socks. Not only do they bring a much-needed layer of warmth to everyday outfits, but they look rad with a circle skirt and boyfriend coat.
13. Free People Silk Triangle Bandana ($78): Okay, while we hope the whole bandana-headband thing stays in the ’90s where it belongs (you know which one we’re talking about), this sophisticated silk interpretation is straight-up luxe. Tie it choker-style over an oversized button-down and high-waisted jeans for unlimited French-girl vibes.
14. Mango Zipper Biker Jacket ($100): The one piece that will add It-girl appeal to every outfit? A leather jacket. Take a cue from Clarissa Explains It All and layer it on top of a bright geometric tee and boyfriend jeans. You know you want to.
15. Dr. Martens 1460 Boots ($140): Bow down. Doc Martens are hands down the holy grail of ’90s fashion. Put a ladylike twist on the badass boot with a silky slip or boho maxi dress (both throwbacks in their own right).
16. Matt and Nat Mumbai Backpack ($135): Your school days might be over, but the latest wave of pre-millennial trends makes toting a backpack totally on-trend. This sleek vegan leather version is so classy it’ll fit right in at your nine-to-five.
17. The Horse Original Watch ($139): iPhone, Apple Watch, whatever — nothing can replace a classic timepiece. Consider this rose gold style the adult alternative to your favorite pink Baby G.
18. Zara Long Check Dress ($50): For the ultimate Nirvana-meets-Clueless crossover that’ll redefine your GNO style, team this streamlined plaid stunner with a biker jacket, metallic loafers and dainty stacking rings.
19. Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Tannin ($26): If you’re feeling so *over* red, channel your inner ’90s babe with berry-brown lipstick. It’s a bold look, so consider taking a pared-down approach to the rest of your makeup to create balance.
20. Free People Goodbye Nikki Mini ($88): Trust us when we say you’ll be living in this crocheted dream once the warm weather hits. The peek-a-boo cutout and flirty tie-front were made for carefree afternoons soaking up the sun. Don’t forget to take along a pair of wayfarer shades (and your trusty sunscreen!).
21. H&M Off-the-Shoulder Top ($15): Saved by the Bell bombshell Kelly Kapowski was the queen of the off-the-shoulder top, and you have to admit, girl looked good. Off-the-shoulder styles are definitely back according to the runway (and every photo on your Insta feed last summer). Flowy, ruffled styles scream ’70s chic, but if you’re after a more ’90s vibe, a fitted tee it is. Show off a little shoulder on a casual coffee date by rockin’ it with a button-front skirt, lace-up heels and dazzling danglers.
22. Current/Elliott The Fling Boyfriend Jeans ($228): Acid-wash anything is an overwhelming no, but boyfriend jeans? Now that’s a trend we can totally get behind. A little wear and tear gives these laid-back bottoms the grunge seal of approval and creates cool contrast when paired with streamlined blazers and luxe loafers.
23. Calvin Klein for UO Waxed Overall ($169): Running errands calls for effortless duds that don’t disappoint in the style department. Enter the black overall. A modern take on your favorite throwback pair, this denim onesie feels all sorts of chic partnered up with a statement sweatshirt and pointed-toe trainers.
24. Everlane Chunky Wool Cardigan ($110): One of Kurt Cobain’s cardigans recently sold at auction for over $100,000, and while a cardigan is no doubt a timeless, wear-anywhere piece, that price is pretty steep. Snag some of Cobain’s iconic style without going totally broke with this snuggly sweater from Everlane.
25. Reformation Pavlova Dress ($198): We imagine this dreamy dress would look killer on Kat Stratford from 10 Things I Hate About You. Whip this one out on date night, and prepare to straight-up slay. Crown braids and dainty necklaces are a must.
26. Carlos Swing Shorts ($96): Flouncy floral shorts are reminiscent of carefree summer days with Britney on the radio and JTT and N’Sync covering the pages of your J-14. A silk cami, sleek gold cuffs and gladiators put a trend-right twist on a favorite back-then look.
27. Georgina Fishnet Glitter Tights ($18): Cher Horowitz-style OTK socks just aren’t going to fly out on the dance floor. These glitter-flecked fishnets, on the other hand, are so down for a little Macarena action.
28. Big Bud Press Gem Pin ($15): Remember way back when buttons, pins, patches and key rings were your go-to bling? Big Bud Press is making a pretty convincing argument for bringing the trend back with quirky, colorful pins that pair perfectly with denim and leather jackets alike.
Follow us on Pinterest for more throwback style inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.