This Unexpected Denim Trend Will Be Everywhere This Spring
There are few wardrobe staples that stand on their own more than a tried-and-true pair of jeans that will always do you right. Classic silhouettes aside (think: bootcut, straight leg and everyday skinnies), cropped flares are the next big denim trend that you need to know about. More streamlined (and way less intimidating) than last season’s go-to boho flares and culottes, cropped flares can easily be styled on the fly. And you need not be a flower child to pull ’em off! Tuck in a blouse for the office, toss on a sweater for weekend errands or pair with a turtleneck if the flares err on the high-waisted side. The options are endless — just let those ankles show. Scroll down for nine foolproof pairs of cropped flares that will become your *new* hero piece come spring.
1. Banana Republic Medium Wash Crop Flare ($98): Looking effortlessly chic is a breeze when you have a pair of cropped denim flares this flattering in your arsenal. The medium wash is appropriate for both daytime and after-hours, meaning you can take these guys from the office to happy hour just like that. Pair with menswear-inspired loafers or d’Orsay pumps for a look that doesn’t mess around.
2. Citizens of Humanity Fleetwood Crop Jean ($218): Who knew cropped flares could be this rocker chic? Not us. Channel a throwback look with patent ankle boots and a body suit with a plunging neckline for your next concert outing. A wide-brimmed hat and bold red lip is obligatory.
3. Madewell 11″ High Riser Crop Flares ($135): Do less (and leave everyone wanting more) by styling this off-duty pair with classic white sneaks and a striped tee. For a considerably more dressed-up look — which also involves minimal effort, a la your fave skinny jeans — throw on a boyfriend blazer and style your hair into a chic top knot. It’s that easy.
4. Free People High Waisted Cropped Flare ($88): Bye bye, stuffy boardroom trouser. These high-waisted cropped flares get the job done alongside a silk blouse and ankle strap steppers. The stretchy fit makes them a shoo-in for the nine-to-five grind when you’re stuck at the desk all day.
5. Mango Flare Crop Trousers ($60): Cue the winter whites: These cropped white trousers are ready to come out and play. Complete with a frayed hem, they would look ah-mazing teamed with some black ankle booties or strappy heels. Finish off the look with a fuzzy, teddy bear-esque coat for a brisk winter day.
6. MOTHER The Maverick Cropped Wide Leg Jeans ($195): Not just restricted to the summer months, these faded flares can be paired with a colorful winter topper right now for an on-point look. Brave the elements by swapping out the boots for a pair of “ugly” glove shoes or some chunky block heels (just add printed socks if you’re feeling chilly!).
7. Citizens of Humanity Melanie Crop Retro ($238): How wide can ya go? These vintage-inspired cropped flares will fit right in with your bohemian (or um, ’90s) sensibilities. Downplay the distressed hem and oversized pockets with a white button-down and an oversized leather tote that’s perfect for a Sunday at the farmers’ market.
8. BDG Moto Crop Kick Flare Jean ($79): For an all-black-or-nothing aesthetic that is downright fierce, style these black kick flares with a pussybow blouse, a leather moto jacket and sleek ankle boots. Make them office appropriate by throwing a cream-colored mock neck sweater into the mix along with some statement-making loafers.
9. The Castings Crop Flare ($210): Wardrobe conundrums simply don’t exist when you have a pair of these trusty cropped flares on standby. Go bold with a Man Repeller-esque rainbow sweater, or style it down with a chambray shirt for a denim-on-denim look.
Will you be sporting cropped flares this season? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo.