7 #OOTDs for the Week: How to Rock the Off-the-Shoulder Style
There’s no denying it: Off-the-shoulder tops, dresses, rompers — you name it — are the ultimate in summer dressing. They instantly infuse a flirty, feminine feel into almost any ensemble and jibe perfectly with summer’s care-free vibe. They work with everything in your wardrobe, from a sporty skort to ‘7os-inspired flairs. If you don’t have one kicking around in your closet, make sure you add one of these shoulder-baring numbers to your list of summer must-haves. Here is a week’s worth of #OOTDs to help you nail your new favorite look.
1. @songofstyle: A striped midi, lace-up sandals and a classic straw fedora make Aimee Song’s off-the-shoulder top feel fit for a trip to the Amalfi Coast — although Salvation Mountain isn’t bad either. (via @songofstyle)
2. @xandervintage: Alanna’s red crop off-the-shoulder top could easily be taken for frilly, but by adding a high-waisted mesh skirt with an athletic edge, she strikes the perfect balance between feminine and fashion forward. (via @xandervintage)
3. @tsangtastic: Work that double denim thang in a whole new way by layering bright white overalls over a shoulder-baring chambray top. The ruffles feel flirty and fun, while add-ons like metallic brogues give the look a cool, borrowed-from-the-boys flair. (via @tsangtastic)
4. @tuulavintage: Show off those shoulders at the shore this summer by trading out your tried-and-true triangle or bandeau top. Sleek shades and a floppy wide-brim sun hat are an absolute must for sending this look straight into glam goddess territory. Just make sure to keep your sunscreen game on lock, since this topper could leave some seriously weird tan lines. (via @tuulavintage)
5. @shellystuckman: While the lacy fabric infuses Shelly’s look with a touch of country charm, acid-wash cutoffs, floral wedges and a Panama hat give off some serious West Coast vibes. This is one outfit we want to rock all summer long. (via @shellystuckman)
6. @looklingerlove: Need a few new frocks for all those upcoming weddings? Take a note out of Chassity’s style book and go for a flowy off-the-shoulder A-line dress in a bright, eye-catching hue. Pair it up with polished pieces like metallic ankle-strap pumps and an oversized clutch for a look that will get you through wedding season in style. (via @looklingerlove)
7. @dallaswardrobe: Get your monochromatic game on by pairing a classic off-the-shoulder shirt with your favorite white denim. While it might not be a getup you’d want to wear to a barbecue (if you’re like us, you’re bound to be covered in stains from just looking at the food), its an on-point choice for date night or a little weekend window shopping. (via @dallaswardrobe)
What Insta style stars do you follow? Do you do an #ootd on the regular? Tell us in the comments below, and be sure to tag your pics with @britandco for a chance to be featured in next week’s post.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.