In the fashion world, what goes around comes around. The ’60s, ’70s and ’90s have all had their time in the sartorial spotlight (and are still going strong, much to our delight), and now it’s the ’00s that are popping up in the form of spring 2016 fashion trends. And that means all your favorite duds from your high school days — denim minis, mules and polos — are officially fashionable again, and girl, they’re looking good. So, put those cringe-inducing throwback fashion moments behind you (Britney and Justin’s double denim moment, X-tina’s barely there “Dirrty” look and the whole Hot Topic thing), and get ready to embrace post-Y2K style in a totally new way with these 17 ’00s trends that are your new style essentials.
1. Free People Jackson Embroidered Denim Skirt ($128): Denim midi skirts read ’70s style goddess, but the mini? It was your bottom of choice circa 2003. You practically lived in the thing. While your Y2k version rocked a ripped look, 2016’s interpretation is all about clean lines and button-front detailing. For a truly right-now appeal, pair it with ruffle neck tops and block-heeled ghillies.
2. Jeffrey Campbell Beaton Mules ($130): There are some trends that should definitely stay in the past (we’re looking at you, velour tracksuits), but mules are one you’ll welcome back with an open closet. Step up your denim game by sliding into these red hot suede numbers, or top off a ditsy floral dress with a clog-inspired style for endless boho vibes.
3. Community Ion Pant ($75): Cargo pants have gotten a lot cooler over the last two decades, and these joggers are proof. They have the pockets and panels you love, plus an athleisure silhouette that feels so right now. Wear ’em with a half-up bun, an oversized boyfriend shirt and statement drop earrings for a dressed-up-dressed-down look you can totally pull off at the office.
4. Express Camo Parka ($128): Sure, you swore off camo a decade ago, but this is one occasion where you can totally go back on your word (we won’t tell, promise). For an It-girl-approved look that will get you through GNO in style, toss a camo jacket over a slip dress and hightop sneakers. Don’t forget a bold lip and messy chignon for a swoon-inducing blend of attitude and elegance.
5. Medicom Toy Jackson Pollack Reversible Bucket Hat ($75): This is not a drill: After making an appearance on the Tommy Hilfiger Spring ’16 runway, the bucket hat is back. Once your beanies and wool fedoras have been packed away safely for the season, whip out this abstract stunner and head straight to the park for a leisurely picnic in the sun. Crocheted tops and statement sunnies are highly encouraged.
6. Mango Stripe Textured Polo Shirt ($46): Whether you like yours doubled up or with the collar popped, this preppy top should definitely make its way into your wardrobe this season. Stick with streamlined silhouettes, fancy fabrics or sleek stripes for of-the-moment edge, then toss on a pair of cropped flares and a leather backpack for an off-duty ensemble with athleisure appeal.
7. Pepe Jeans Cher Ankle Zip Low-Rise Jean ($145): Low-rise denim is, well, on the rise, and the 2.0 interpretation is taking home the prize for most convincing comeback. Forget Paris Hilton and X-tina’s scandalizing styles, and try this classy cut with playful zip details on for size. Rock it with lace-up ankle boots and a cropped trench for an #OOTD-approved ensemble in seconds.
8. Matt & Nat Aki Belt Bag ($95): It’s official: Belt bags are here to stay. Because who doesn’t love a bag that lets you go hands-free? Perfect for your throw-on-and-go routine, it would look great styled alongside a flowery midi dress and your fave field jacket for a Saturday morning farmers’ market.
9. Endless Summer The Livin’ Is Easy Cape ($68): Crop tops have come a long way over the last 15 years, taking on a more sophisticated tone than their early ’00s counterparts thanks to the transition from low-rise denim to high-waisted trouser and pencil skirt pairings. But they’ve stepped it up in the style department too. Exhibit A: this cropped cape top. Rock it with high-waisted wide legs, strappy sandals and bold drop earrings for date-night dressing (getaway addition) that will straight-up slay.
10. Vans Metallic Leather Slip-On ($60): Embrace an ’00s trend that will inspire you to do less: the slip-on skater shoe. The zero-effort stepper was made with lazy girls in mind. For a foolproof outfit in less than five minutes, throw it on with overalls and an off-the-shoulder blouse.
11. Without Walls Track Star Zip-Up Jacket ($79): Juicy tracksuits and terry-cloth everything are blasts from the past we hope never come back, but athletic jackets feel right on trend with the wave of sports-chic styles dominating the runway and your Insta feed. Keep things on the DL by layering it over a maxi t-shirt dress and belt bag.
12. Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Jacket ($80): It’s officially spring, but it’s never too early to start thinking ahead. Thanks to the athleisure craze, puffer jackets are back and taking names. And not just as an essential layering piece under your favorite coat; these bad boys are flyin’ solo in 2016.
13. Shy by SE WTF Necklace ($125): From love rings to necklaces with profanity spelled out in elegant script, wordy is the way to go when accessorizing the ’00s-inspired way. When Monday rolls around, this dainty number says it all.
14. O’Neill Vacay Trucker Hat ($18): Suffering from a case of bucket hat fatigue (trust us, it’s bound to become a thing)? Add this Ashton-Kutcher-approved trucker hat into your routine. With a denim jacket and New Balance kicks, you’ll be well equipped for backyard bashes, ball games and every other laid-back spring event on the agenda.
15. Zara Off-the-Shoulder Top ($26): Off-the-shoulder is the silhouette that keeps on giving. Season after season, it never seems to disappoint. Master transitional dressing with this strappy, modern style that can be teamed with culottes and ankle boots now and flirty skirts and slide-on sandals later. Bright eyeliner and topknots keep the focus on the shoulders up.
16. Gap Authentic 1969 Embroidered Girlfriend Jeans ($90): Early-’00s denim was all about the extras: rips, patches, glitz and embroidery. If look-at-me jeans don’t jibe with your minimalist style sensibilities, consider this pair the perfect compromise. Team the relaxed silhouette with a classic button-down and polished pumps for casual Fridays, slide-on flats and a saddlebag for Sunday brunch and your favorite sneakers and trench for running errands. It’s that easy.
17. Nasty Gal Corset for Success Mini Dress ($68): Corset tops were all the rage, popping up on all your favorite celebs back in the day. The look has evolved a thousand fold over the last 10+ years, and the result is a slew of tops, dresses and skirts you won’t want to live without. Case in point: this fuss-free LBD. The lace-up front fuses throwback flair and a timeless silhouette for an anytime-appropriate dress with edge. Bombshell waves, a bold cuff and dancing shoes take it into partay territory in seconds.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.