These ’00s Style Trends Are Making a Major Comeback
In the fashion world, what goes around comes around. The '60s, '70s and '90s have all had their time in the sartorial spotlight (and are still going strong, much to our delight), and now it's the '00s that are popping up in the form of spring 2021 fashion trends. And that means all your favorite duds from your high school days — denim minis, mules and polos — are officially fashionable again, and girl, they're looking good. So, put those cringe-inducing throwback fashion moments behind you (Britney and Justin's double denim moment, X-tina's barely there “Dirrty" look and the whole Hot Topic thing), and get ready to embrace post-Y2K style in a totally new way with these 15 '00s trends that are your new style essentials.
1. Gap Denim Skirt ($60): Denim midi skirts read '70s style goddess, but the mini? It was your bottom of choice circa 2003. You practically lived in the thing. While your Y2k version rocked a ripped look, 2021's interpretation is all about asymmetrical detail and a roughed-up hem. For a truly right-now casual look, pair it with a simple tee and your favorite sneakers.
2. Anthropologie Bernardo Quilted Heeled Mules ($175): There are some trends that should definitely stay in the past (we're looking at you, velour tracksuits), but mules are one you'll welcome back with an open closet. Step up your denim game by sliding into these quilted babies, or top off a ditsy floral dress with a clog-inspired style for endless boho vibes.
3. Tie-Waist Cargo Jogger ($35, was $70): Cargo pants have gotten a lot cooler over the last two decades, and these joggers are proof. They have the pockets and panels you love, plus an athleisure silhouette and a tie belt that feel so right now. Wear 'em with a half-up bun, an oversized boyfriend shirt and statement drop earrings for a dressed-up-dressed-down look you can totally pull off.
4. Universal Thread Camo Anorak Jacket ($40): Sure, you swore off camo a decade ago, but this is one occasion where you can totally go back on your word (we won't tell, promise). For an It-girl-approved look, toss this camo jacket over a slip dress and Vans. Don't forget a bold lip and messy chignon for a swoon-inducing blend of attitude and elegance.
5. Forever 21 Cloud Wash Bucket Hat ($10, was $13): This is not a drill: the bucket hat is back. Once your beanies and berets have been packed away safely for the season, whip out this abstract stunner and head straight to the park for a leisurely picnic in the sun. High neck tanks and statement sunnies are highly encouraged.
6. Anthropologie Maeve Springtime Polo Tank ($58): Whether you like yours doubled up or with the collar popped, this preppy top should definitely make its way into your wardrobe this season. Stick with streamlined silhouettes, statement fabrics or sleek stripes for of-the-moment edge.
7. Mark and Graham Build Your Own Convertible Belt Bag ($49+): It's official: Belt bags are here to stay. Because who doesn't love a bag that lets you go hands-free? Perfect for your throw-on-and-go routine, it would look great styled alongside a flowery midi dress and your fave field jacket for any Saturday morning.
8. Vans Rainbow Checkerboard Slip-On ($55): Embrace an '00s trend that will inspire you to do less: the slip-on skater shoe. The zero-effort stepper was made with lazy girls in mind. For a foolproof outfit in less than five minutes, throw it on with mom jeans and a crewneck.
9. adidas Originals Track Jacket ($80): Athletic jackets feel right on trend with the wave of sports-chic styles dominating the runway and your Insta feed. Keep things on the DL by layering it over a t-shirt dress and belt bag.
10. L.L. Bean Rosewood Down Jacket ($199): It's almost summer, but it's never too early to start thinking ahead. And down jackets aren't just an essential layering piece; these babies are flyin' solo in 2021.
11. Revolve Cropped Cape Top ($83, was $138): Crop tops have come a long way over the last 15 years, taking on a more sophisticated tone than their early '00s counterparts. But they've stepped it up in the style department too. Exhibit A: this cropped cape top. Rock it with high-waisted wide legs, strappy sandals and bold drop earrings for a look that will straight-up slay.
12. RamirezCreationsUS WTF Necklace ($65): From love rings to necklaces with profanity spelled out in elegant script, wordy is the way to go when accessorizing the '00s-inspired way. When Monday rolls around, this number says it all.
13. Gap Mid Rise Girlfriend Jeans ($70): Team this relaxed silhouette with a classic button-down and polished pumps for casual Fridays, slide-on flats and a saddlebag for grabbing a latte and your favorite sneakers and trench for running errands. It's that easy.
14. Urban Outfitters Valentina Buster Tank ($49): Corset tops were all the rage, popping up on all your favorite celebs back in the day. Wear this updated interpretation for a look that screams summertime. Bombshell waves, a bold cuff and dancing shoes take it to the next level.
15. Zara Stretch Poplin Top ($36): Off-the-shoulder is the silhouette that keeps on giving. Season after season, it never seems to disappoint. Master transitional dressing with this ruched, modern style that can be teamed with culottes and mules now and a flirty skirt and heels later. Bright eyeliner and topknots keep the focus on the shoulders up.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
This post has been updated.