13 Anti-Pollution Beauty Products to Protect Your Skin and Hair
It’s true that when the heat is on, so is the damage. When summer hits, you spend extra time outdoors (hello, rooftop cocktails and weekend pool parties), exposing your skin and hair to damaging UV rays and pollution. Those environmental aggressors can speed up aging, bringing on unwanted wrinkles and straw-like strands, definitely not what you need RN. Thankfully, we’ve rounded up the latest skin and hair heroes to help you save your looks this season. Scroll down to get protection, stat!
1. Strivectin Multi-Action Stress Defense Hydrating Water Gel ($59): Think of this cooling gel moisturizer like energy water: Pat it on after a hard, hot day to bring back lost elasticity and give you a glow. The patented combo of amino acids and antioxidants counteract stress damage and the calming aromatherapy scent soothes all your worries away.
2. Drybar Lush Detox Dry Conditioner ($23): If you’ve got coarse, dry hair, step away from the daily heat dryer to avoid frying your hair. Unlike dry shampoo — which soaks up oil and can rob hair of shine — this blowout-extending conditioner has softening argan oil and mango butter to refresh and reboot a dried-out style.
3. Lancome Advanced Génefique Sensitive Antioxidant Serum ($85, launching in July): What’s more fun than cracking the vial filled with ferulic acid and vitamin E to activate this serum? Seeing the effect the antioxidants have on your skin after just one month.
4. Origins A Perfect World Antioxidant Moisturizer With White Tea ($44): While humidity is a good thing for dry skin types (that dewiness gives you a pretty glow), it still needs a boost of hydration, especially if you’re spending lots of time outdoors. This rich moisturizer is packed with antioxidants and good-for-your-skin ingredients, like silver tip white tea, edelweiss, and white birch, all of which protect and strengthen skin against damaging UV rays and pollution.
5. Drunk Elephant Umbra Tinte Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 ($36): A go-to sunscreen is a good choice for everyone (especially if you burn easily), but since thick formulas can create an unwanted sheen on your face, the application isn’t always pretty. This tinted option, packed with powerful antioxidants and marula oil, is far from that; you’ll get a gorgeous glow without a trace of white residue or greasy finish.
6. Clean Maniac Micellar Clean-Touch Conditioner ($20): Let’s get real: This season, your tresses are apt to pick up all those funky outdoor smells; think campfires, BBQs, and smog. Use this light conditioner, powered by gentle micellar water, to repel trapped odors and pollution from hair, making it stay fresh and bouncy.
7. Milk Makeup Matcha Cleanser ($26): This travel-friendly, solid stick cleanser does it all — detoxifies, cleans, purifies, and exfoliates — and can be used anywhere (even when there’s no bathroom in sight). Dot it on damp skin and then use your fingers as it foams up and cleans. The antioxidant-rich matcha tea soothes and calms damage from a day’s worth of sun exposure.
8. H2O Plus Aquadefense Shielding Matcha Facial Essence ($42): Hot times in the city? There’s no escaping the effects of urban air and heat, which can dull your skin faster than you can say, “Get me outta here!” Spritz on this unique mist with matcha tea and rice bran extracts; the brightening and protective ingredients act like a shield against airborne chemicals, refreshes makeup, and cools you down. Ahhh!
9. Nexxus City Shield Hair Creme ($20): Frizz happens, but only if you let it. Priming your mane with a conditioning leave-in, like this one, will keep frizz in check, even when the air is thick with humidity and pollution. Thanks to an infusion of plant proteins, strands stay supple and smooth for hours.
10. Philosophy Take a Deep Breath Oil-Free Oxygenating Gel Cream SPF30 ($37): Stress and environmental aggressors can rob your skin of crucial oxygen levels, making it dull and dry. Rubbing in a dollop of this gel-cream formula is like giving your skin a good yoga sesh: The oxygen-infused moisturizer replenishes those levels and boosts hydration.
11. Chuda Sheer Hydrating Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($70): Think of this as a two-in-one: It protects and heals damaged skin with its exclusive blend of propolis honey, beeswax, and rose oil. Apply the SPF-boosted cream all over your face so the ingredients can get to work repairing damaged cells beneath the skin’s surface immediately.
12. Ahava Mineral Radiance Cleansing Gel ($25): If you’re an urban dweller, then you know that your skin is at risk for redness and dullness the minute you step on the sidewalk. Washing up with this mineral-rich, oil-free cleansing gel purifies lackluster complexions, and also leaves behind an invisible layer that protects against pollution and reduces inflammation.
13. Tula Urban Defense Hydrating Mist ($28): Pack this refreshing mist into your tote for your summer travels. The coconut-water-based moisturizer — teeming with protecting probiotics, moisturizing algae and botanicals for a puff-free face — is a major pick-me-up when your skin is feeling and looking blah.
Follow us on Pinterest for more beauty inspo and info.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.