At Home With Neon
With spring finally here, color is popping up everywhere we look. You've already seen our love of neon in the form of duct tape feathers, vintage finds, and nonslip hangers. We've even tried our hand at neon food with our Funfetti Macarons. So what's next for neon? The bold and bright color choices you've been making for everything from your handbag to your nail polish are now stylishly showing up in your home decor too.
But don't worry about making a sweeping neon statement. You won't have to paint your walls day glow orange to follow along with this one. Just keep it simple and start with a few accent pieces. That way you can switch them out as soon as the next trend hits.
1. Acrylic Rim Frames ($15): These frames from CB2 are the perfect way to get your feet wet when it comes to neon home decor. Grab one or two for your nightstand for a pop of color or buy a few more to create a wall art focal point in the entryway or living room.
2. Neon Yellow Leather Mouse Pad ($35): Office inspiration is sure to strike with this modern mouse pad from Freshly Picked.
3. Cameo Screen Print Wall Art ($25): Artwork is a great way to bring warmth to a space. Piggyback on the popularity of cameos and silhouettes, with a neon print from the Haunted House of Projects.
4. Ampersand Screen Print in Neon Yellow ($22): Any typographer will tell you, the ampersand has the most fun! Decorate your home office with this playful symbol designers have been idolizing for years.
6. Themis Mobile ($29): Walk the more playful side of this trend with a hanging mobile from Poketo. Bonus: These geometric shapes can be styled in a variety of ways (stacked or hanging).
7. Cavetto Brights Mirror ($350): Mirrors have long been a go-to staple for brightening a dark room by reflecting light. Add a pop of neon and you are well on your way to mastering this trend and bringing more function to a space.
8. Red Dot Vase ($18): Fresh flowers are a must for spring, but tabletop vases are a thing of the past. So what's a garden-loving gal to do? Try this hanging vase from Chive that pulls double-duty as wall art when not in use.
9. Merino Wool Throw ($525): As the most pricey pick in this roundup, this DWR throw definitely falls into the luxury category. But if you can afford the splurge, this cozy blanket is well worth the price. Designed by Stefan Scholten and Carole Baijings, it is almost like a work of art.
11. Vintage Cube Lamp w/ Neon Pink Cord ($275): Modern meets retro with this funky lamp – perfect for some light reading before bedtime, perched on a night stand.
12. Liquid Round Bowl ($40): Use an oversized bowl like this one as a centerpiece for your dining room table or entryway. The bright yellow enamel will give a little extra punch to anything you put inside it (even leftover craft supplies from your latest diy project).
How do you bring the neon trend into your home? Send brightly colored finds our way by leaving a note in the comments below or find us on Twitter.
Brittni Mehlhoff is the founder of papernstitch, an internationally curated exhibition site where you can buy handmade goods and submit to have your own work showcased. Brittni is also the editor of a handmade blog that features over 60 diy projects and tutorials, business tips for creative entrepreneurs, and (of course) handmade items.