9 Stylish Products to Create a Smart Home of the Future
This past spring, consumer tech resource CNET partnered with Xfinity and Willams Sonoma to put together a dreamy — and totally livable — smart home. The lovely 2,952 square foot single-family home located in San Francisco was decked out in the latest gadgets compatible with Amazon Echo or Google Home audio devices. The goal? To show that an automated and streamlined pad can still be v. stylish too.
While it’s nearly impossible to pick faves from an impressive list of electronics spread throughout the abode, we’re giving you a look at the rooms and a few highlights from them below. (Psst: To get the full tour, head here.)
1. August Smart Lock Pro ($230): This handy tool allows you to lock your door or grant access (for guests, too, while you’re away) with a simple audio command. Plus, it keeps a 24/7 feed going, so you’ll have a running log of everyone who’s been hanging out by your front door.
2. Samsung “The Frame” TV ($2,000): Is it art? Or a TV? With a gallery-quality frame and an HDR screen, visitors will never know the difference.
3. Lutron Caséta Wireless Smart Lighting Dimmer Switch ($160): Use voice assist to keep your lights on or dimmed from the moment you step in. Forgot to flip the switch on the way out? Take care of it from your phone on the go. (Psst: This Lutron tech can be applied to your blinds too!)
4. The June Convection Oven ($599): If you’re looking for one fancy oven, this is it. Although it may look like your traditional convection appliance, it’s equipped with the same capabilities as a standard cooker. Factor in an internal HD camera that can identify your food and provide temp recommendations and iOS control to monitor your cooking from anywhere, and this one rises to the top of our wish list.
5. TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug ($40): Equipping your home with cool amenities doesn’t have to be expensive. Thanks to this smart plug, you can turn any device on or off remotely or with a simple audio command. We’re most excited about the possibility of starting our coffee machines when we wake up or getting an extra space heater running during a chilly commute home.
6. LG InstaView ThinQ Refrigerator ($TBD): The LCD touchscreen on this door makes it possible to plan groceries and manage to-do lists, all with a simple voice command. Even better, the InstaView ThinQ integration reads the contents of your fridge and displays them so you’ll never struggle with “what to make” woes again.
7. Eight Smart Mattress Cover ($253): Toss this over a standard sleeper and — voilà! — you have a smart mattress that collects data so you can monitor your zzz’s directly from your device. Bonus: It controls temps separately on each side of the bed so both you AND your partner can rest easy.
8. LG W7 Series OLED “Wallpaper” TV ($8,799): The only way to sum this up? A TV screen so light and thin it attaches right to the wall (yes, really!).
9. LIFX Smart LED Light Bulb ($196): Sync this bulb with your Alexa to light up your room the moment your alarm goes off. Or set it up to go dim with a quick ask whenever the mood strikes. Genius!
Looking for more tech news? Follow along @BritandCo!
(Smart Home photos via Josh Miller/CNET)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.