A Few Things You Should Know Before You Buy Your Next Bra, According to an Expert
While lingerie is undeniably beautiful, shopping for it can be a constant struggle with body positivity. With so many colors, shapes, sizes and styles to choose from, hitting the lingerie department for a new bra can be downright overwhelming. Whether you’re purchasing lingerie to wear under your wedding dress or just want to wear something pretty for yourself (because you deserve it!), the key to undressing for success is definitely confidence — and a little know-how. We spoke with Mimi Holliday’s resident lingerie expert, Sarah Jenkins, to get a few pointers and confidence boosters to tackle bra selection. Read below for a few tips on how you can reclaim the dressing room and rock those next-to-nothings like a boss.
1. Experiment with shapes. We’re all guilty of it: When you finally get around to replacing your stretched-out, thread-bare bra, you end up with the same tried-and-true silo. Sarah says that by doing that, you will not only miss out on pretty new designs, but “there’s also the simple but glaring fact that your bust will change shape over time! I’m not ignoring how overwhelming the choice can be though, so if you’re in a store, ask for suggestions and help with fit. Once you get a better idea of what you like and don’t like, it’s really easy,” she explains. So go forth and stay curious, ladies. Your next favorite boulder holder is just one adventure away. (Photo via Mimi Holliday)
2. Get fitted.Mimi Holliday Dream Girl Everyday Pushup Bra ($56): Just DO IT. “It makes such a big difference. The most common mistake I see is that women wear a bra that is too big in the back, too small on the cup (i.e. a 32C or even D wearing a 34B). You can be much bigger in size when wearing a push-up versus an unpadded — and the effects are so huge. It’s amazing hearing from Mimi Holliday Maxi Bra fans who are wearing the right size for the first time. They experience less back pain, great uplift, no more rubbing on the shoulders and the straps stay in place for the first time ever — the list of benefits is literally endless.”
3. Embrace color.Mimi Holliday Oleander Molded Contour Bra ($115): Fact: Color is a good thing. If you can wear a black bra under an article of clothing, then you can probably wear something a little less conventional and more opulent, like navy or maroon. There’s a whole world out there filled with lemon, blush, peach, apricot, mocha, ice blue, chocolate brown — and these can all work as nudes depending on your skin tone. Color and prints are the most fun ways to express yourself and enjoy your lingerie!
4. Flaunt what you’ve got. Mimi Holliday Galileo Bra in Noir and Fire ($169): Underwear as outerwear has been one of the biggest trends of the season. Sarah says,”Don’t discount the bras with cool straps, or high shoulder lace pieces. Lace peeking out under the edge of a shirt is a perfect way to add subtle sex appeal.” We trust you, Sarah.
5. Strapless bras are your friend.Le Mystere Strapless Push-Up Bra ($65): “There are great strapless bras on the market, despite what most people believe. Look for ones with stellar molding. They’ve come a long way and can be very handy indeed. There is no place in a grown woman’s closet for those awful ‘clear’ bra straps — it’s just a no-go,” advises Sarah.
6. Try triangle.Cosabella Triangle Bralette ($59): The triangle bralette is built to handle more than just our small-chested friends. “They’re not there for mega support, but you can get some lovely, comfy bras that are still okay for everyday wear or just relaxing in,” Sarah tells us. “Our designer Damaris Evans designed one especially for fuller cups, with a reinforced underbust, gentle boning on the wings and wider silk straps. It’s liberating!”
7. Confidence is key.Mimi Holliday Edison Triangle Bra in Noir ($169): In the end, Sarah suggests “wearing whatever you want, and whatever makes you feel good. Lingerie is playful, fun and a great way to celebrate yourself. There is something for everyone, and you know what? Just go for it! You won’t regret it.” Right on, Sarah!
Want more helpful hints on shopping for lingerie? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.