15 Magical US Mini-Moon Destinations for Every Type of Newlywed
With the average cost of a wedding hovering around $30,000, it’s no wonder that modern couples are saving some green everywhere they can, from doing their own wedding day makeup to DIYing their bouquet. There are also money-saving honeymoon options for the cash-strapped bride and groom. Instead of choosing that dreamy international adventure, many couples are opting for a shorter “mini-moon” a little closer to home. But just because a domestic mini-moon is cheaper, doesn’t mean that it won’t be as romantic. Here are 15 swoon-worthy US destinations for every type of newlywed couple.
1. Miami, Florida: No, South Beach isn’t just for spring breakers. This popular touristy locale is perfect for a romantic getaway, with its beautiful art deco hotels, white sandy beaches and lively nighttime entertainment.
2. Maui, Hawaii: Pretty much any island in Hawaii would be ideal for an unforgettable mini-moon, but we’re partial to the stunning island of Maui. With breathtaking waterfalls, beachy resorts and postcard scenery, it’s definitely worthy of your first few days as newlyweds.
3. Clearwater, Florida: Located on the Gulf of Mexico in Pinellas County, the white sand beaches of Clearwater are a beach bum’s dream. From dolphin searching to parasailing to Adirondack chair lounging, you’ll never run out of things to do in this warm and wonderful Gulf-coast town.
4. Portland, Oregon: With microbreweries, food trucks and coffeehouses galore — a trip to Portland is almost guaranteed to include some good Instagram-worthy eats.
5. Atlanta, Georgia: The capital city of Georgia may not be widely known for its grub, but spend a few days in the city and you’ll understand why it’s high on almost every foodie’s American dining list. From Antico Pizza to Sublime Donuts, you’ll definitely end up eating your weight in food on this stunning southern adventure.
6. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Home of the iconic Philly cheese steak, a mini-moon to Philadelphia is packed with delicious goodies. Whether you’re looking for savory bites or sweet treats, Pennsylvania’s largest city is just waiting to seat you in one of their thousands of yummy restaurants.
7. Sedona, Arizona: A true desert town, this beautiful city is surrounded by nature’s playground. We’re talking red-rock buttes, 1.8 million acres of national forest land and two state parks. Whether your ideal getaway is sleeping under the breathtaking stars or hot air ballooning over the red rocks at dawn, Sedona can fulfill your dream adventure.
8. The Big Island, Hawaii: Take a helicopter ride over Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, scuba dive with manta rays off the Kona Coast and walk through the 442-foot Akaka Falls. Whatever adventure you are dreaming of, the Big Island is waiting.
9. Anchorage, Alaska: The largest city in the state of Alaska, this adventurous town is overflowing with things to do with your sweetie. From dog sledding and bicycle tours to glacier cruises, let’s just say a mini-moon here will not be forgotten anytime soon.
10. Napa Valley, California: A list of the top domestic wineries to visit wouldn’t be complete without Napa Valley. With dozens of award-winning wineries and vineyards to visit (go check out Sterling Vineyards for the view of a lifetime), it’s a trip that’ll make any wine lover swoon.
11. Yadkin Valley, North Carolina: A hidden gem in beautiful North Carolina, this winery-packed region originated as a tobacco-growing locale. With a rich history and a stunning landscape, you and your partner will have the time of your lives sipping delicious reds while taking in all of the unbelievable sites.
12. Traverse City, Michigan: With over 40 wineries and vineyards in the region, Traverse City is an excellent spot for a romantic mini-moon, especially if going all the way out to sunny California isn’t in your budget.
Big City Dreamers
13. New York City, New York: You better get in a New York state of mind — and fast! From the dazzling spectacle of Times Square to the insane views from recently opened One World Observatory, the city that never sleeps is packed with things to see and do.
14. New Orleans, Louisiana: Nicknamed “The Big Easy,” the hopping nightlife, unbeatable jazz-and-blues scene, rich culture and good eats in this popular Louisiana city make it a great place to celebrate marrying your sweetie. With dozens of festivals a year, it’s always festival season in NOLA.
15. San Francisco, California: A mini-moon to the Bay Area involves much more than gazing upon the Golden Gate Bridge. From sea lion spotting at Pier 39 to catching a cable car up to Nob Hill, this sunny destination is equal parts big city and California dreamin’.
Where is your ideal mini-moon? Tweet us your picks by mentioning @BritandCo.
(Photos via Getty)