Cacio e Pepe Chickpeas Let You Get Your Pasta Fix Without the Noodles
Chickpeas and cacio e pepe pasta sauce join forces to make a filling twist on the classic dish. Simply fry up the chickpeas in a bit of vegetable oil, then toss them with lots of pepper, breadcrumbs toasted in butter, and plenty of Parmesan cheese. It tastes like the classic cheese-and-pepper Italian pasta recipe but with a boost of fiber and protein that’ll keep you satisfied.
Try this dish as a meal, but you can also add chickpeas to salads, soups, or even grain bowls for a crunchy crouton replacement.
Cacio E Pepe Chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- flaky sea salt to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. When oil is hot, add chickpeas and let cook until golden and crispy, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined dish and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add breadcrumbs and cook until golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix chickpeas with breadcrumbs, Parmesan, pepper, and a sprinkle of sea salt until well incorporated. Serve and enjoy.
For more exciting chickpea recipes, follow us on Pinterest.
(Recipe and photo via Audrey Bruno / Brit + Co)