27 Cozy Cardigans to Celebrate Sweater Weather
Ah, fall. After surviving the sweltering temps of summer, it’s refreshing to finally be able to add some extra layers into the sartorial mix. And by layers, we specifically mean cardigans that play well with everything from chambray button-downs to simple and dependable LBDs. Whether you’re a tried-and-true crewneck sweater kind of girl, prefer an oversized, chunky knit topper to snuggle up in or lean toward a trendy cropped knit, here are 27 cardigans that we pretty much guarantee will be love at first sight.
1. Forever 21 Waffle Knit Cardigan ($23): Got neon? This waffle knit cardi in fluorescent yellow is guaranteed to add an instant pop to your nine-to-five wardrobe.
2. Madewell Striped Cocoon Cardigan Sweater ($80): Enter the delightfully soft cocoon cardigan that you’ll be living in this season (and beyond). Complete with a shawl collar, this safety blanket in disguise will not only survive the elements, but it’ll look exquisite with all of your winter whites too.
3. First & I Tassel Hem Cardigan ($33): Now here’s a match made in heaven: fringe cardigans and boho flares. To fully solidify your ’70s persona, a wide-brim hat and chunky clogs are obligatory.
4. J. Crew V-Neck Cardigan Sweater with Embellished Pocket ($70): No need for a major statement necklace when your classic V-neck cardi has bejeweled pockets. Whether you pair it with jeans and a tee or a work-appropriate shift dress, the result will be delightfully unexpected + majorly chic.
5. Banana Republic Patterned Jacquard Open Cardigan ($98): For mornings when you pressed the snooze button too many times, you have this drape-y cardigan to fall back on. Providing the perfect foundation for a one-and-done kind of look, all that’s left to add is a pair of leather leggings and some killer booties.
6. Warehouse Knitted Stripe Kimono ($77): Be date night-ready in a jiffy with this striped kimono-style cardigan that is loose and airy without trying too hard.
7. Cooperative Bubble Textured Bomber Cardigan ($79): This bubble-textured topper will allow you to get back to your hipster roots in no time. Just throw in a vintage saddle bag and classic Docs FTW.
8. Banana Republic Faux-Leather Pocket Cardigan ($78): Frigid mornings spent walking to work just got infinitely better thanks to this ribbed cardigan with contrast pockets. Toss this minimalist topper on for an instantly cool, streamlined look.
9. Tobi Cherish You Cardigan ($20): Orange you ready for endless fall days? Mimicking the changing foliage, this oversized neon cardigan will make you stand out for all the right reasons, whether it’s over your go-to plaid or your favorite long-sleeved dress.
10. Scotch & Soda Cardigan-Inspired Blazer ($115): Say hello to the structured stripe topper that looks like a blazer and can be dressed up like a blazer, but — get this — is actually a cardigan in disguise. The next time you have a boardroom meeting, slip this comfy layer on with a pencil skirt and heels. No one will be the wiser!
11. Comme des Garçons Play Navy Heart Cardigan ($545): Nail that Parisian look with this navy cardigan by Comme des Garçons that’s practically a perennial staple. Channel your inner French girl by pairing it with everything from cuffed jeans and loafers to a wool mini skirt and suede ankle boots.
12. Caslon Collegiate V-Neck Cardigan ($68): Going hand-in-hand with a white collared shirt and cuffed boyfriend jeans, this timeless cardigan with varsity stripes is one that will never go out of style.
13. Forever 21 Fuzzy Knit Windowpane Cardigan ($30): Word on the street is that fuzzy cardigans, coats, shoes — you name it — are going to be having a major resurgence this season. Get a head start by investing in this windowpane-printed cardigan that will instantly edge up any look.
14. Anthropologie Neapolitan Boucle Cardigan ($128): While it may no longer be summertime, that doesn’t mean that you can’t still show your affection for your favorite neapolitan ice cream. This demure cardigan made up of the autumn-ready shades beige, coral and orange will keep you toasty and ready for a round of pumpkin picking.
15. Kain Drew Bouclé Cardigan ($72): For a prim and polished look that never fails, this two-tone gray cardigan with black sleeves has back-to-school written all over it. When paired with a scuba skirt and a vintage brooch, you can’t go wrong.
16. Erika Cavallini Semicouture Rhetta Cardigan ($398): We’re loving this artsy take on your everyday cardigan that involves modern color block patchwork and designs. When we think of dressing for #sweaterweather, this is exactly what comes to mind. Layer this guy over palazzo pants, wool skirts and even just plain ol’ jeans.
17. Chinti and Parker Star Outline Cardigan ($415): Get ready to channel a rocker ‘tude this season thanks to this star-printed cardigan that conveniently pairs well with plaid. For a night on the town, black jeans and cutout booties are a worthy match.
18. Leith Waterfall Open Front Cardigan ($78): Casual is the name of the game as far as this flow-y, olive cardigan is concerned. For weekends spent lounging at home or running a quick errand (or two), all you’ll need is a printed tee, black jeans and slip-on sneaks for an effortless #OOTD.
19. ASOS Coatigan in Contrast Yarns ($86): It’s a cardigan. It’s a coat. No, it’s actually a coatigan, aka your new cold-weather staple. Besides the sophisticated silhouette, we’re swooning over that ultra-feminine shade of powder pink.
20. Tobi Diem Plaid Cardigan ($44): If you’re a ‘90s kid at heart, then you’ll definitely appreciate this punk-inspired plaid cardigan in electric blue. Emulate your fave rock star with a laid-back pair of shades and combat boots.
21. Ever Eve Tabbetha Fuzzy Cardigan ($138): Following a high-intensity workout at the gym, the last thing anyone wants is to leave feeling sweaty and disheveled. Achieve an off-duty, athleisure-inspired outfit with this extra-long cardigan that can be tossed over leggings and workout attire with little to no effort.
22. Forever 21 Throwback Varsity Cardigan ($25): In honor of upcoming homecoming celebrations and tailgates, this varsity-inspired sweater screams team spirit. ALSO, you have our permission to pretend that the “B” stands for the Queen Bey herself.
23. Tobi Somewhere With You Cardigan ($50): Ease into the boho trend with a laid back, oversized grandpa style cardigan. This cream-colored option with a pretty ombre design can be tossed over your favorite trapeze dress or styled with a button-front skirt and lace-up flats for a low-key look.
24. Old Navy Pattern Cocoon Cardigan ($54): Visions of Pumpkin Spice Lattes and evenings spent by the fire are already coming to mind just by looking at this cozy layer. Stay toasty in this tribal printed cardigan by tossing it over a denim shirt dress, a simple white tee — you name it.
25. BDG Cayla Elbow Patch Cardigan ($69): Thanks to this elbow patch cardigan, the oh-so coveted, borrowed-from-the-boys look can now be yours. Style it with an autumnal printed dress and riding boots for an on-point look worthy of all your upcoming fall shenanigans.
26. Boden Heritage Check Coatigan ($198): Prepsters everywhere, eat your heart out. This plaid mohair coatigan is practically begging to be paired with your signature stripes, skinny jeans and riding boots. Take note: It will look equally stunning with a LBD or A-line mini for a night on the town.
27. Chaser Shawl Collar Long Cardigan ($180): Just how rad is this ombre duster cardigan that’s dip-dyed to perfection? Softer (and infinitely chicer) than any Snuggie we’ve ever seen, this low-maintenance topper is bound to keep you warm on chilly days.
Which of these cardigans will you be bundling up in this season? Let us know in the comments below!