Who doesn’t have high hopes for clear, healthy skin? Introducing cannabinoid “CBD” oil, which contains molecules of the cannabis plant that don’t get you high, into your skincare routine can provide daily protection, keep your skin extra clean, and nourish inflamed areas. Consider this controversial ingredient a superfood for your face. Brands like Vertly, Cannuka, and KHUS + KHUS have taken note of its many benefits, creating a slew of CBD-enhanced products that can do everything from zapping acne to maintaining a youthful glow. Read on to learn five reasons the beauty industry is buzzing about CBD oil.
1. It could have more benefits than your fave vitamin C serum. Believe it or not, CBD oil is an incredible form of protection from daily environmental factors that cause complexions to age. “CBD as an antioxidant is even more powerful than vitamins C, E, A, and omega-3 fatty acids,” explains Dr. Jenelle Kim, formulator of Cannabis Beauty Defined. An antioxidant-packed oil shields your skin from pollutants, smoke, and UV rays that can speed up the aging process.
2. It has antimicrobial properties. If keeping your face squeaky clean is a top priority, consider using products that contain antimicrobials, which give your skin extra protection against the spread of germs and bacteria. “CBD shows promise as an antimicrobial in lab studies,” says Dr. Andrew Kerklaan of Dr. Kerklaan Therapeutics, a team of cannabis and wellness professionals who focus on natural health care. “For a product to work as an antimicrobial, the concentration of CBD has to be high enough, and the oiliness of a product has to be low so it doesn’t clog pores,” Kerklaan explains. CBD can help kill germs that make their way into products during application (when you dip your finger into a moisturizer, for example), which keeps bacteria-related bumps at bay.
3. It curbs breakouts and controls oil. Oil glands actually react to cannabinoids, which are compounds that give cannabis its medical and recreational properties. This means that CBD can help control an overly oily face. “Sebaceous glands, which produce fatty oils called lipids, are affected by cannabinoids,” Kim, who also holds a board certification in Herbology, tells us. “CBD inhibits the lipid production in cells, making it an effective preventative for acne.” In addition to helping to avert acne, CBD can also heal and comfort an active flare-up thanks to those antioxidants and fatty acids.
4. It is safe to use on all skin types. Since CBD is a naturally occurring plant molecule, Kim and Kerklaan agree that there is little to no risk involved in incorporating it into your regimen. “CBD derived from hemp has very little risk associated with it,” says Kerklaan. Kim echoes this, noting that its “calming and soothing nature” is ideal for any skin type. That said, it’s always smart to start with a test patch if you’re introducing a new product, just to be safe!
5. It encourages cell regeneration. The key to a radiant, clear complexion is maintaining healthy cell turnover so your freshest face is always on display. “Vitamins A and D help with healthy-looking skin because they are responsible for repair,” Kim says. Without proper intake of those vitamins, though, we can flake up from dryness — making using CBD in your beauty routine that much more beneficial (especially during cold seasons). “Fatty acids also help regenerate skin’s outer layer, leaving it smoother and younger looking,” she explains. It’s a one-stop-shop if you’re all about putting your best face forward.
Want more skincare advice? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photo via Getty)