How to Keep Denim Looking Chic This Fall
We might be saying sayonara to summer, but it’s just the beginning of all that fab fall fashion — hello, layers! And if there’s one piece that has us feeling pretty pumped this season, it’s denim. Sure, it’s anything but unexpected, but with this tried-and-true fabric, the possibilities are endless. In the trouser department, skinny jeans take a back seat to ’70s silhouettes, while dresses and button-front skirts are garnering their fair share of sartorial attention too. Who says you can’t teach a wardrobe staple new tricks? So forget about statement pieces, because standing out this season is a simple matter of embracing the basics.
1. @clemence_allaire: Denim dresses often take the backseat to much-loved jeans and skirt styles, but they’re just as much deserving of their five minutes of fame. Pair a button-front frock with a poncho, knotted belt and leather mules this season, and prepare to turn some heads. (via @clemence_allaire)
2. @grasiemercedes: Looking for the epitome of chic? Just rock a pair of straight-leg jeans cuffed ever-so slightly with a classic ivory turtleneck and leather jacket. Pointed-toe flats or a simple pair of pumps (perhaps in a fiery shade of red or a wild leopard print) put the finishing touches on this sophisticated ensemble. (via @grasiemercedes)
3. @fitfabfunmom: If you’ve ever questioned the style factor of a denim maxi, brace yourself for a little sartorial schooling. A front slit and peep toe booties offer some serious sass factor, while a bright ribbed topper injects some throwback flair to the unexpected getup. Our favorite part? The addition of a plaid shirt wrapped ’90s-style around the waist, which breaks up the look and packs a visual punch. (via @fitfabfunmom)
4. @lowstoluxe: Make those off-duty outings ultra chic by striking the right balance of rugged and sophisticated essentials. Of-the-moment lace-up flats and an oversized button-down shirt give distressed denim a polished edge, while a military anorak imparts a bit of tough-girl edge. (via @lowstoluxe)
5. @asos_anna: There are a few summer staples we know we won’t be able to live without this fall, and denim pinafores are one of them. To transition this effortless piece to fall, layer it over an eye-catching button-down or chunky knit with your fave pair of ankle boots. (via @asos_anna)
6. @amberrosephoto: The way to do denim right this season is simple: Don a pair of anything-but-average skinny jeans. That means cropped, culotte, wide-leg and flare styles. While fall is still in its early stages, opt for a lightweight top with a graphic print, and of course some killer heels (bonus points for autumn’s go-to print, python). (via @amberrosephoto)
7. @denisebidot: Swap out your standard skinnies for a pair with a high-waisted style and a little bit of pizazz — we’re talking embellishments, patchwork or a little paint print. Forgo the basic tee for a sleek bodysuit topped off with structured blazer (we like ours leather-trimmed) or a sharp-looking, belted cardigan. (via @denisebidot)
What Insta style stars do you follow? Do you do an #ootd on the regular? Tell us in the comments below, and be sure to tag your pics with @britandco for a chance to be featured in next week’s post.