WTF Is Cica Cream And How Is It So Great for Sensitive Skin?
We’re always on the lookout for new treatments for sensitive skin, and cica cream has been at the top of our list. The new-to-the-market products featuring Centella Asiatica (otherwise known as the magical ingredient behind the cica cream craze) is a “plant that has been used for millennia in the Orient and Ayurvedic medicine for its anti-inflammatory, wound-healing, and moisturizing properties,” Austin-based dermatologist Dr. Ted Lain explains.
There’s even proven studies to back Centella Asiatica’s legitimacy. “Recently, these uses have been supported by research studies, showing an increase in collagen production, skin thickness, and growth of blood vessels, all hallmarks of healthy skin,” claims Dr. Lain.
While everyone is different, this hot new ingredient may just be what you’ve been searching for to calm and soothe your sensitive skin. According to Dr. Lain, cica cream should be used as a “moisturizing and barrier-repair cream”. Thanks to the ingredient’s moisturizing and soothing properties, he recommends that those who “already have dryness or irritation” would be the best candidates for cica creams since “the C. Asiatica extracts help to heal the skin and return it to a healthy state”. Sensitive skin gals, rejoice!
1. Lancome Advanced Génifique Sensitive Dual Concentrate ($78): This dual antioxidant serum yields pure ferulic acid and vitamin E that instantly calms stressed skin and protects against further damage.
2. It’s Skin Tiger Cica Gel Cream ($20): This gel cream was inspired by Asian tigers rolling in Centella Asiatica (also known as Tiger Grass). It has serious medicinal and healing effects on the skin.
3. Neogen Dermalogy Real Cica Pad ($20): Sometimes it can be scary to exfoliate sensitive skin with new products because you never know how it’ll react. Since these contain Centella Asiatica extract, we give them the seal of approval.
4. Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Cream ($48): Specifically created to solve the issues of redness, blemishes, inflammation and other irritations, this moisturizer gives all the healing vibes.
5. L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Cicacream Anti-Wrinkle + Skin Barrier Repair ($14): For those dealing with aging issues and sensitivity, this wrinkle-fighting, skin-firming, hydrating cica cream will help you feel your best again.
6. La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume ($15): This nourishing skin balm sends your complexion the rescue it needs from sensitive skin. Aside from daily hydration, you can also use this balm for burns, cuts, scrapes, chapped lips, and more.
Tweet us your favorite sensitive skin products @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.