Making a trip to the salon to get your hair did is often time-consuming, expensive and let’s face it — you don’t always leave with the ‘do you had in mind. In fact, it can end up being a straight-up traumatic hair story to tell your friends later (after you’ve recovered). That said, playing hairstylist and dyeing your hair at home can result in a color you totally weren’t expecting. A less aggressive, more forgiving and gradual option is a type of product that you can actually use at home in your shower.
Color depositing shampoos + conditioners are perfect if you’re looking to boost your natural hair color, tweak a dye job or just want an easy summer hairstyle switch-up. They do the same things your average shampoo and conditioner do (cleanse, detangle, hydrate and condition the hair) but leave behind a temporary wash of color. The souped-up hue washes out in 3-5 washes, so you don’t have to worry about having to live with a color you don’t love. Here are five products that’ll give your locks a little extra love and a lot of extra vibrancy.
1. Touchback Color Depositing Shampoo + Conditioner ($20 for the set): Use this shampoo and conditioner to inject serious life into lackluster hair. You’ll get a fresh wash of color and a serious dose of hydration — all without ammonia, sulfates or peroxide. Another benefit of this cleansing + conditioning duo is your hair will have extra protection from the damaging effects of the sun thanks to UVA/UVB sunscreens.
2. Aveda Color Conditioner ($21): Aveda has a line of color-enriching conditioners designed to tint a range of hair colors with flattering tones and hues to bring out the best of their color. Not only are you enhancing the overall look of your hair with these conditioners, but you’re thoroughly cleansing your scalp and hydrating your locks too.
3. Joico Color Infuse Duo ($34): If you’re looking for a subtle change, give this product duo a try. It’ll gently deposit a brighter, richer touch of color, and it won’t cover up highlights or balayage.
4. Overtone Vibrant Conditioner ($17): Gentle enough to use on the daily, this serious color depositing conditioner will bring out the best of whatever color you’re rocking. Every time you wash your hair, follow with this conditioner and your color will stay super bold and fresh between salon visits.
5. Evo Fabuloso Colour Intensifying Conditioner ($35): This conditioner instantly amps up your hair color while keeping your strands super healthy. Not only will your color be noticeably upgraded, it’ll also be shiny and intensely hydrated. It’s free of ammonia and peroxide too!
Follow us on Pinterest for more hair inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.