20 Stylish Ways to Wear Basic Jeans
Denim is about as American as apple pie, and we’re willing to bet that no other material can single handedly conjure up visions of cowboys, hippies, rappers and rockers who all put their signature style on denim. Our favorite jeans can be like our BFFs: there when we need ’em, reliable, willing to go (literally) anywhere with us. Whether you’re rocking your classic 5-pocket blue jean or shimmying into a hot new pair of skinnies this year, we’ve rounded up 20 ways to rock this wardrobe staple.
1. Oversized Harem Pants: These chambray pants totally redefine blue jeans. They’re wider at the hips for a fashion forward style and are paired with shades of blue, polka dots and a neon orange jacket for pops of color AND pattern. (via Bittersweet Colours)
2. The High Waisted Jean ($169): Tap into the ’70s silhouette by tucking in a blouse to a pair of high waisted jeans or wearing a basic cropped style. Amp up the look with a bright and colorful kimono and some cute cutout boots and you can head go from summer music festival to happy hour drinks with your friends in a snap.
3. Ripped Knees: It’s all about having the rips in all the right places, and these broken-in skinny jeans ($128) look perfect paired with dressier staples like stiletto booties and a trench vest. (via Happily Grey)
4. Distressed Boyfriend Jeans: The trick to making ripped jeans ($40) look pulled together and not too Guns ‘N Roses is to pair them with basic staples, such as a silk blouse, a great pair of stilettos or a utility jacket. (via Sincerely Jules)
5. White Jeans: For this super cool summer look, pick up a pair of distressed white jeans like these skinny jeans ($78) and pair it with a feminine ruffly top. Keep things edgy with some bold accessories. (via Sincerely Jules)
6. Boyfriend Jeans: Since the whole point of boyfriend jeans ($258) is to look casually thrown together, it makes perfect sense to pair this baggy pair with a loose white t-shirt and minimal jewelry. (via Let’s Have a Margarita)
7. Rolled Up Cuff: Baggy jeans ($28) look fab with a striped top — especially if you roll up the cuffs to show off a fabulous pair of heels or booties. We’ve also got our eye on that cocoon sweater! (via Von Vogue)
8. The Loose Straight Leg: One foolproof way to dress up a pair of straight leg jeans ($198) is to make sure all your accessories are super sharp, such as a structured button-up, a sleek pair of loafers and a neon bag. (via Stylecaster)
11. Denim on Denim: Skinny jeans and a chambray top ($23) are summer staples, but they both have year ’round appeal when paired with a pop of color like a bright sweater or embellished bag to make an otherwise basic outfit anything but. (via Heels + Peplum)
12. Cropped Jeans: Cropped jeans are ideal for occasions that are aren’t too dressy, but still call for something special. If you want to dress them down, try a pair of cropped jeans ($78) with a comfy plaid shirt and pair of ballet flats. (via Style Elixir)
13. Shades of Gray Jeans: Gray jeans like these motorcross skinnies ($168) always go well with neutral colors and metallic heels, but they can also look incredible with bright pops of color. (via JNSQ)
14. Dark Skinny Jeans: If you’re out of outfit ideas by the time Friday rolls around, whip out your favorite pair of dark skinny jeans ($68) and top ’em off with a dressy white blazer and soft pink heels. (via Sydne Style)
16. The Overall Look ($168): Grab a pair of distressed overalls and pair with a loose baggy top for a chic, trendy look.
17. Classic Cutoff Shorts: Don’t be afraid of a little fray on your shorts! Sumptuous leather accessories and polished basics in neutral hues are a surefire way to take a pair of cutoff shorts ($30) into the modern era. (via Sincerely Jules)
18. Rock Mom Jeans: When it comes to accentuating your curves, mom jeans are a one size fits all style that look (sometimes surprisingly ;) fab. They hug in all the right places and look quite modern paired with a crop top. (via The Caribs)
19. With Pops of Color: A classic pair of blue jeans can be completely transformed into a chic look with a color block trench, turquoise clutch and some killer yellow pumps. Who says you can’t wear jeans to work? (via Cape Cod Collegiate)
20. Bright Neon Skinnies: The secret to pulling off brightly colored jeans ($70) is to pair them with a subtle top and then play up the drama with unique accessories like clutches and shoes. (via Sincerely Jules)
What’s your favorite way to style basic jeans? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us a pic @BritandCo!