Confession time — sometimes it’s really hard to buy gifts for friends. Sure, there are tons of gift guides out there, but what do you get for the person that has everything?! Well, you can give your bestie the gift of creating something herself. If you didn’t know, Brit + Co has an amazing collection of online classes. Pair one of these classes with a handmade tool holder for all of her new supplies and inspire your bestie to dive into her new creative lifestyle.
Materials + Tools:
— 10-inch embroidery hoop
— 1/4 yard of fabric — in two colors
— sewing kit — small scissors, needle, sewing pins, seam ripper, measuring tape, sewing chalk
— sewing machine
— fabric scissors
1. Trace your embroidery hoop onto your first piece of fabric and then cut out the circle.
2. Fold the circle in half and trace onto the second piece of fabric, then cut out.
3. Hem the top edge of the half circle, then pin to the larger circle. Sew around the perimeter of the half circle, leaving the straight edge open to create a pocket.
4. Place pins every two inches and then sew three straight perpendicular lines.
5. Cut out a heart from your pocket fabric, pin and sew onto the circle above the pocket.
6. Fill your hoop with all different sewing or embroidery tools.
Trace your embroidery hoop onto your first piece of fabric, leaving a little extra wiggle room, and then cut out the circle. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
Fold the circle in half and trace onto the second piece of fabric.
Fold the straight edge of the half circle over to create a hem, then pin to the full circle. Sew around the perimeter of the circles to connect the two pieces. Be sure to leave the straight part of the half circle unsewn to create a pocket.
Time to create the mini pockets in your embroidery hoop holder. Place pins every two inches and then sew three straight lines where you’ve pinned.
Use your pocket fabric to create a heart shape. Pin and sew onto the circle above the pocket.
Place the fabric into the embroidery hoop, pull the fabric tight and tighten the screw. Trim the extra fabric off of the back using your fabric scissors.
Add the sewing supplies to the pockets, placing bigger tools on the bottom and pins and needles at the top.
Wrap a bow around the hoop and hand letter a cute note to encourage your bestie in her new creative endeavors.
Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!
DIY Production and Styling: Kelly Bryden
Photography: Kurt Andre