It’s really never too early to start planning your next vacay (because #lifegoals), and with spring break having come and gone, it’s time to shift your focus to all those potential summer adventures. Whether you’re looking to explore a new city or soak up some good vibes in the sand, one thing is for certain — you’re going to need a killer capsule wardrobe (and a pair of colorful sunnies) to take along.
Packing isn’t always easy — weeding out the fluff and sticking to the essentials can be a real challenge, especially if you’re a bonafide #OOTD obsessive. But traveling light ultimately makes your life a whole lot easier (no wasting time at baggage claim), plus it keeps those impeccable sartorial sensibilities sharp. Trend-right and timeless pieces that can pull a little double duty are a girl-on-the-go’s BFF, and make the prospect of carry on-only travel totally possible. Whether you’re bummin’ on the beach or indulging in the finest local flavors, these 13 multipurpose pieces will see you through. Keep reading for sleek swimsuits, Insta-worthy accessories and chic everyday basics that you can wear anytime, anywhere.
1. Zara Floral Embroidered Kimono ($70): Consider a longline kimono a must-have for tropical getaways and urban escapes alike. From a classy poolside coverup to an elegant dinner-ready ensemble in seconds (just add a statement belt and polished pumps), this embroidered beauty will never steer you wrong.
2. Mango Printed Scarf ($26): This bright patterned scarf has more than a few tricks up its sleeve. Beyond dressing up your décolletage, it can kick it seaside, be styled up sarong-style or serve as an unexpected topper to a pair of relaxed-fit jeans (peace out, plain white tees).
3. Mara Hoffman Cactus One-Piece ($226): If you needed yet another reason to snag a one-piece STAT, consider this it: The #OOTD-worthy onesie is just as versatile as a standard bodysuit. Seriously. Slip it under pleated skirts for an al fresco dinner date with bae or pair it up with high-waisted shorts and lace-up espadrilles for a cute just-kickin’-it look.
4. White House Black Market Convertible Stripe Maxi Skirt ($78): Is it a skirt, or is it a dress? You get to decide. This two-in-one stunner will put your favorite Breton stripes to shame with its wear-anywhere appeal and effortless aesthetic. DO wear it with bright red lipstick and a quirky crossbody bag.
5. Ecote Raffia Tote Bag ($69): We are totes obsessed with this beach-ready bag. The soft silhouette makes it easy to roll up and toss in a suitcase when you need to go hands-free, but it makes a mean in-flight companion too, with a roomy interior perfect for stashing all your in-flight essentials.
6. J.Crew Malta Mirror Metallic Sandals ($78): If shoes are your *thing,* paring down in the footwear department is no easy task. Luckily, we’ve scouted the game-changing sandals that flawlessly fuse fashion and functionality. Perfect for the beach or pairing with a romantic maxi dress, these metallic slip-on steppers are — dare we say it — the only shoes you need in your suitcase this season.
7. Victoria’s Secret Seamless Bralette ($27): Scenic hikes, seaside lounging and bar hopping — this sassy pink bralette does it all. Making a major argument for the intimates-outside-the-bedroom thing, it’s guaranteed to become a regular in your getaway repertoire.
8. Free People Libby Convertible Dress ($128): If your love affair with the LBD is starting to feel a little, well, lackluster, this is the frock you need to reignite the flame. Between the flirty floral print and adjustable straps that can be styled in a multitude of ways, it’s trend-right and timeless. Beach-babe waves and a floppy straw hat are obligatory.
9. Baggu Large 3D Zip Bag ($12): Enter the colorful zip-up bag you won’t want to leave home without. Use it to keep your suitcase organized or stash dirty laundry, or toss it into your beach bag to stash wet or sandy duds after a day in the sun.
10. Faithfull the Brand Roman Dress ($93): Oh, this old thing? It’s just the piece your packing list has been missing. For the ultimate desk-to-destination ensemble, tuck it into cropped flares for the airport, then rock it solo with gladiators once you hop off the plane. Statement shades and goddess glow (unfortunately) not included.
11. Urban Outfitters Basic Bandana ($6): The It-girl accessory of the season — the bandana — isn’t just for neatly knotting around the neck. Dress up your wrist (step aside, statement cuffs), then use it to pull your hair back for SUP class — and that’s just the beginning.
12. Cuyana Leather Travel Case Set ($110): Your arsenal of on-point clutches is a force to be reckoned with, no doubt, but taking the whole load along for that weekend away just isn’t an option. Luckily, this luxe travel set won’t let your style sensibilities down. After toting all your to-die-for toiletries and baubles, it’ll do your GNO essentials proud, especially when styled alongside a sleek jumpsuit and swoon-worthy sandals.
13. RECTO. Blind Denim Long Skirt ($249): A skirt you can style any which way? Don’t mind if we do! Paired with tees, silky tanks or suede jackets, it can be worn all week long and no one will be the wiser.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.