By now you’re likely well-versed in the ins and outs of capsule wardrobes, but if minimalism isn’t exactly your sartorial calling, you might (understandably) be hesitant to give the whole pared-down thing a try. After all, your closet basics come in every color of the rainbow and a range of show-stopping prints — you and neutrals just don’t jibe. But what if we told you that a capsule wardrobe can go well beyond plain-white tees and shades of beige? Color lovers can reap the benefits of the 37-piece approach too, without ditching those much-loved bright and bold hues. But where to start? We’ve figured it all out for you, curating a list of spring’s trendiest shoes (that will totally stand the test of time), jackets and colorful sunnies to kickstart the new season in style. Don’t worry; you can thank us later.
1. Zara Round Neck Coat ($149): Trenches, please. A neutral-colored topper might be traditional, but you? You do things differently. And that’s where this pretty pink number comes in. Toss it on after the sun goes down for an added layer of warmth and undeniable panache.
2. Whistles Iris Lace Insert Midi Dress ($421): Sure, it’s a splurge, but trust that it’s totally worth it. From weddings to walks on the beach, this pleated stunner has you covered no matter what’s on your spring and summer agendas. Play it cool with a white biker jacket and flatform kicks, or rock a ladylike look with lace-up pumps and delicate layered necklaces.
3. Wildfox Couture Malibu Round Sunglasses ($179): New season, new shades. Perfect for kickin’ it in the park or swaying to the sound of your favorite band, these round sunnies know what’s up. Play into their groovy mood with a crocheted top, a fringe-flecked saddle bag and metallic Birks.
4. Mango Printed Baggy Trousers ($40): Your nine-to-five routine is about to get a major makeover thanks to these tonal trousers. The eye-catching print instantly perks up button-downs and classic blazers, making that early morning alarm a little more manageable.
5. Madewell Industry Button-Back Top ($80): Every capsule wardrobe requires a wear-anywhere top that has the whole office-to-after thing in the bag. Enter the silk tee you’ll be pulling out at every opportunity. Whether you tuck it into belted trousers for that big presentation or toss it over cropped flares and sporty slides, it never disappoints.
6. Eeight Valentina Multi Color Chunky Heel Sandals ($114): Warm weather is finally a reality, so it’s time to get your arsenal of lightened-up footwear in order. Ditch the flip-flops and reach straight for these ugly-pretty sandals that are guaranteed to give your #OOTD that little extra something. The only thing missing? A bold and bright pedi.
7. After Party Vintage Doctor Jimmy Levi’s Denim Jacket ($128): Decked out in colorful suede and high-shine leather, this denim topper is all about the party in the back. Beyond the statement-making embellishment, it’s made from dead-stock vintage fabric, so it’s one of a kind — ideal for girls that like to blaze sartorial trails. At a loss for words? This is the ultimate conversation starter.
8. Tanvi Kedia Mayreau Silk Maxi Skirt ($178): Why let dresses have all the fun? A trusty maxi skirt works overtime to bring you getups that are fit for both the office and any number of spring events. Dress it up with an elegant silk cami and statement baubles for your BFF’s nuptials, or style it alongside a cold-shoulder top and mules for business lunches and brainstorming sessions.
9. Topshop Moto Pink Acid Mom Jeans ($75): On Wednesdays we wear pink. Do everyday denim differently with mom jeans that defy the norm in an unexpected pink acid wash that nails it, whether you wear them with a simple striped tee or a flowery off-the-shoulder top.
10. BaubleBar Priyanka Drops ($38): Breathing new life into a tired tees-and-jeans routine is as easy as adding these bohemian baubles with touches of vibrant turquoise. For maximum impact, make those peepers pop with a swipe of blue eyeliner.
11. Reformation Lelani Jumpsuit ($198): Lazy girls, rejoice! THIS is the throw-on-and-go piece you need in your life. Simply slip it on with a pair of strappy sandals and watch as the compliments come flooding in. Paired with a bright straw bag and cat eye shades, it’s ready to revolutionize off-duty style.
12. Cambridge Satchel Company Medium Push Lock Bag ($115): Even those everyday essentials deserve a bit of extra attention, meaning a statement-making sac is totally in order. The cool tone of this push-lock style is versatile enough to rock on the daily, but will inject any getup with a healthy dose of fresh color too. For extra street-style cred, knot a printed scarf around the shoulder strap.
13. H&M Batik-Patterned Jersey Dress ($20): Between festival season and tropical getaways, there are endless occasions where this no-fuss maxi might come in handy. Paired with a perfectly draped blazer and funky flower crown, it even has major wedding guest potential. #nailedit
14. Mango Destructured Leather Sandals ($70): ICYMI: Mules are the of-the-moment shoe your spring and summer capsule wardrobes can’t live without. Case in point: These sunny yellow steppers hold it down, whether you wear them with laid-back boyfriend jeans or sleek suiting separates.
15. & Other Stories Striped Oversized Shirt ($95): Is it really even a capsule wardrobe if you don’t have a next-level button-down on standby? This oversized stunner will look on point with sheer-paneled culottes and slip-on sandals off duty, or silk joggers and lace-up espadrilles at the office. Athleisure at work never looked so chic.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.