With fall wedding season in full swing, and the onset of holiday parties not too far behind, now’s the time to start scouting out your dress options. Mini or maxi, lace or velvet, plunging neckline or throwback mock neck — these are the sartorial decisions you need to be making. As it just so happens, dresses with statement backs are currently have a major moment — and we’re so down. From cool lace inserts to peekaboo cutouts and even bows (!), here are 16 dresses that will pique your interest… all from the back.
1. Silence + Noise Mini Dress ($69): Allow the intricate back on this easygoing red shift dress to do the talking. Throw on some lace tights, a few layered necklaces and a chic crossbody bag for an evening look that cannot be ignored.
2. American Apparel Ryder Dress ($44): This totally on-trend mock neck dress in a mood-boosting shade of golden yellow will have you mimicking the changing leaves in no time. Complement the rad cutout on the back with a pair of stacked heels for a fun night of dancin’.
3. Kimichi Blue Lace Edge Mini Dress ($79): When you find a dress that will work for weddings, date functions and holiday parties, you know that it’s a keeper. This maroon mini dress with the prettiest lace cutout back yet is the perfect blend of romantic + sweet.
4. ASOS CURVE Bodycon Dress With Lattice Back ($32): Enter the LBD with a fun, unexpected twist. Thanks to the edgy lattice back, this bodycon dress is a shoo-in for your office’s networking cocktail hour.
5. Kimichi Blue Woven Cut-Out Back Dress ($30): Say hello to the rust-colored cutout dress that is practically begging to be paired with cognac riding boots. From homecoming festivities to thanksgiving get-togethers (and everything in between), this autumnal frock will quickly become your new secret weapon.
6. Talula Varndell Dress ($85): Perfect for an upcoming fall wedding or formal dinner party, this plum-colored dress with a criss-cross back is a certified head-turner. Finish the look off with a daring pair of ankle booties or some chandelier earrings for the win.
7. Nightwalker Point Break Mini Dress ($128): Show off your sultry side with this vegan leather dress with a risqué T-strap back that is hot, hot, hot. From a rock concert to bachelorette party, this stunner can easily be edged up with a leather moto jacket or over-the-knee boots. Your move.
8. Kate Spade Bow Back Dress ($448): Be the talk of the town with this entrance-maker from Kate Spade that flaunts a conservative front and an even more head-turning back. While you could roll with a sleek blazer and pointed-toe flats, there’s no fun in that. Bring on the sparkly party pumps, people!
9. Reformation Waveview Dress ($118): Once again, Reformation is giving us all a reason to swoon hard. While the front of this LBD may appear simple, the lace-up back is what brings all the sass. Style it with d’Orsay flats or Mary Jane platforms for a one-and-done look that works every time.
10. Nightwalker Asymmetrical Cutout Dress ($180): This is NOT your ordinary LBD! Complete with an eye-catching asymmetrical hem and unexpected cutouts all over, it’s practically guaranteed to turn some heads. Peep-toe mules and a red lip are obligatory for this one.
11. Oh My Love Velvet Cutout Dress ($82): As far as holiday party dresses go, this velvet bodycon number pretty much has it all. The on-trend mock neck, burgundy jewel tone and peekaboo cutouts make it the perfect candidate in our book, especially when paired alongside a pair of high-drama earrings or some fierce platform boots.
12. Forever 21 Cutout Back Dolman Dress ($33): This conservative olive-colored dress is business in the front, party in the back. Slip on a tailored black blazer and some power heels, and this number will be ready for the office just like that. For a more downtown vibe, an anorak jacket and ankle boots will instantly toughen up your look.
13. Love Moschino Sweater Dress With Bows on Back ($233): When in doubt, top it off with a bow (or three). More sophisticated than girly, this gray sweater dress can be paired with some stylish black steppers and a statement clutch for a going-out look that will straight-up stun.
14. Free People Jessa Lace Dress ($250): Every girl needs a dress this drop dead gorgeous in her arsenal for special occasions that seemingly pop up out of nowhere — what anniversary dinner?! Besides the lovely floral print and seductive shade of garnet red, the open back is seriously everything.
15. WYLDR New Yorker Bodycon Dress ($68): Knock ‘em dead with this little black dress that will make you feel like a million bucks. Complement the lace inserts and stunning open back with a cocktail ring and a pair of lace-up heels that mean business.
16. Lulu’s Mayan Empress Red Maxi Dress ($54): Be a goddess in this boho-lovin’ red maxi that demands attention. If the vibrant color doesn’t pique your interest, the modern racerback style sure will.
Will you be investing in any of these party-ready dresses this season? Let us know in the comments below!